Pouring vs Siphoning wort in to fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glang

Reaction score
So, I'm struggling to figure out whether or not I should be siphoning or simply pouring my cooled wort in to my fermenter after chilling. When I brewed 5 gallon PM batches, I always poured my wort in. But I recently switched to 2.5 AG batches and started using whirfloc, and have been amazed at how quickly the particles fall to the bottom of my wort when cooled. So I have been siphoning lately because I feel like I'd be wasting the effects of the whirlfloc if I simply poured the wort in to my fermenter. Since my batch sizes are so small I wanted to keep as much particles and hop debris out of my fermenter as to minimize my trub loss. I've also seen some people using a fine mesh strainer when pouring cooled wort, which would solve my problems I suppose. What does every one else do?

Either. I Pour it all in, the whirlfloc will keep the junk at the bottom. Of the fermenter and it's a lot easier with no ill effects

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think alot of opinions here vary because peoples methods are dictated by their setup. Some people pump through a plate chiller, some syphon, some dump.

My kettle doesnt have a valve so I dump through a strainer bag. Not sure I need to use the strainer, I think maybe it helps aeration. Ive read some people claim that the trub Im straining out could be beneficial to the yeast. No sure about that. It also seems to help with yeast washing.

I have done it many different ways but now I tend to siphon out of the brew kettle and run the wort through a colander into the fermenter. It catches a ton of the debris and aerates at the same time.

So, I'm struggling to figure out whether or not I should be siphoning or simply pouring my cooled wort in to my fermenter after chilling. When I brewed 5 gallon PM batches, I always poured my wort in. But I recently switched to 2.5 AG batches and started using whirfloc, and have been amazed at how quickly the particles fall to the bottom of my wort when cooled. So I have been siphoning lately because I feel like I'd be wasting the effects of the whirlfloc if I simply poured the wort in to my fermenter. Since my batch sizes are so small I wanted to keep as much particles and hop debris out of my fermenter as to minimize my trub loss. I've also seen some people using a fine mesh strainer when pouring cooled wort, which would solve my problems I suppose. What does every one else do?

I just started using whirlfoc and when I read the title I thought "I would never dump it in, I'd waste the effort of using the whirfloc!"

But now:

Either. I Pour it all in, the whirlfloc will keep the junk at the bottom. Of the fermenter and it's a lot easier with no ill effects

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am brewing tonight, so interested to see how this conversation goes.

It's best to pour it in, the wort likes oxygen, so sloshing it around helps it. After doing that I pitch the yeast and leave it be.........

As long as you're sanitary about the process, any way you get the wort from your BK to your fermenter is perfectly fine. Some folks leave behind ~2 gallons in the BK to avoid getting any "dirty" wort while others empty their entire BK into the fermenter (break material, hop particles, everything). These same folks all claim clear beer :D.

Find a method that works for your system/process and roll with it. If you find you need to make adjustments, or want to try something different in the future, then do so. While the process of brewing beer involves a lot of science, we don't have to understand it all to make great beer :D - talk about forgiving!!

I have done both methods (siphon off only the clearest of worts, and dump the entire BK into fermenter) and neither proved better than the other. I have settled on a process of leaving behind about 2-3 cups of the dirtiest wort in the BK BUT I'm getting a gallon or so of break-material-filled wort as well. The 2-3 cup loss is about where my valve loses suction anyway so it works out well.

Hope this helps.

I put a strainer around the bottom of my siphon and use my siphon. When Ive racked it all to my fermenter sometimes I'll even let that sit for 30 mins and see if any trub settled out. If anything made it over I rack from one carboy to another one leaving the trub behind again.
If your using a Yeast Fuel cap or dry yeast then your adding the nutrients the yeast will need already. I wouldn't worry about leaving trub for the yeast.

*Note - I also have an oxygen wand so I don't really have to worry about splashing to aerate my wort.

Some may disagree with me but if you get a paint strainer bag and place it in your fermenter and just pour it in, you will trap all your trub and hops in the bag (at least I do), pull the bag and there you go, filtered wart. If picking up and dumping is not your thing, install a spigot and just let it pour in and then pull your bag out, what ever you choose...

I look to save as much time and money as possible, plus I don't like adding extras stuff to my beer, I am a minimalist/purist of sorts and I am also cheap too, so I don't want to spend any extra money than I have to or add chemicals to my beer.

Each to their own, this is only my opinion and I don't think there is a right way or wrong way only your way, so if it works, it works, just my 2cents for what it is worth...

Some may disagree with me but if you get a paint strainer bag and place it in your fermenter and just pour it in, you will trap all your trub and hops in the bag (at least I do), pull the bag and there you go, filtered wart.

Ya know, this is a wonderful idea ? I'm gonna try that !!........

I pour, when it gets to the bottom of the BK - I pour the rest through a sifter.
Works like a charm.

As long as you're sanitary about the process, any way you get the wort from your BK to your fermenter is perfectly fine. Some folks leave behind ~2 gallons in the BK to avoid getting any "dirty" wort while others empty their entire BK into the fermenter (break material, hop particles, everything). These same folks all claim clear beer :D.

Find a method that works for your system/process and roll with it. If you find you need to make adjustments, or want to try something different in the future, then do so. While the process of brewing beer involves a lot of science, we don't have to understand it all to make great beer :D - talk about forgiving!!

I couldn't agree more, you are either in for that one beer or you are in it for the hobby. Try it all ways, see the results, adjust, learn then make more beer. It's all an experiment, as quoted above a science, but it is your science. What works for one may not work for another. Every system is different, every brewer is different.

I have tried the siphon and left wart behind, I have tired a siphon with a filter and got it clogged, I have dumped it all in with no ill effect to the beer but you end up with dirty yeast. Now I have moved onto dumping into a strainer bag, which for me has solved all my issues. I can pull clean yeast from my fermenter, though I end up harvesting from the last bottle of beer because I seem to be getting lazier and lazier the more I simplify my process but it all seems to work - For Me -

Seems to me a forum is a good place to ask a question and get more than one answer, a direction but trial and error will give you the right answer...

-Edit- harvesting yeast from the bottle is really more work, I just enjoy doing it this way, another part of the hobby.

I just put this on my bucket and pour my 5G batches through. It's double mesh and catches *TOO* much that I have to scrape away near the end. I like the paint strainer idea. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I put a strainer around the bottom of my siphon and use my siphon. When Ive racked it all to my fermenter sometimes I'll even let that sit for 30 mins and see if any trub settled out. If anything made it over I rack from one carboy to another one leaving the trub behind again.
If your using a Yeast Fuel cap or dry yeast then your adding the nutrients the yeast will need already. I wouldn't worry about leaving trub for the yeast.

*Note - I also have an oxygen wand so I don't really have to worry about splashing to aerate my wort.

Man, I am sorry, I know we got off on the wrong foot but I have to ask, this is eating at me...

How is siphoning then waiting 30 minutes then siphoning again quicker? Why does having the smallest amount of trub bother you so much?

I just put this on my bucket and pour my 5G batches through. It's double mesh and catches *TOO* much that I have to scrape away near the end. I like the paint strainer idea. ;)

Yeah, I used one of those too, not double mesh, the force of the pour knocked it into my bucket, I was stressed because one, I dumbed all the trub into the bucket which I was trying to avoid, and two because I only sanitized the mesh part... Nothing happened to the beer, but I did pace the floor like an expected father... figuratively

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I am sorry, I know we got off on the wrong foot but I have to ask, this is eating at me...

How is siphoning then waiting 30 minutes then siphoning again quicker? Why does having the smallest amount of trub bother you so much?

I guess I'll start by saying it depends what styles your brewing. Like I mentioned in the other thread Ive tried a few ways of going about it all before I stuck with the siphon. Lifting a BK full of wort just isn't fun for my back or shoulder and is more work than the siphon. Plus I dont want to risk spilling it or anything like that.
Where it got time consuming was having to stop to squeeze and empty the strainer every time it was clogged up. I generally brew a lot of APAs/IPAs so there's a lot of hops getting filtered and slowing up the process. It was taking me 30 mins to strain it all and I wasnt crazy about touching my cooled wort with my hands. Beers with less hops usually arent that bad but I dont brew them as often and again the lifting the BK thing I'd rather avoid if I can. With the siphon I just pump it twice and then finish cleaning while it transfers the wort, usually about 10 mins or so.
Transferring from one carboy to another isn't something I always do. Just depends how much trub gets carried over or not. This part does take longer if I do it because obviously you have to let it all settle. Not really a big deal since my IC doesnt get the wort under 75f, only to about 80f so the carboy hangs out inside for a bit to cool before I pitch. If I carried a lot of trub over from the BK I'll rack it over right before I pitch and leave it all behind.
A small amount of trub doesn't bother me but I'd rather leave what I can out so I have less loss to trub in the carboy and less of a chance of racking it into my finished beer come kegging/bottling.
To wrap it all up, getting a good whirlpool going while I run my IC then using a siphon is quicker and less work for me than the stop and start(plus lifting) of straining it all. I also never touch any of the wort this way. Long post but hopefully this explains things a bit better.

Long post but hopefully this explains things a bit better.

Totally on your side man, I am impressed you have so much luck with the siphon, especial when making IPA and such. You use a lot of leaf hops I am guessing from your profile link, "growing hops in keywest"? I have heard, I have no experience with leaf but I have heard they act as a natural filter? Maybe this is why I failed with the siphon, I have only used pellet hops and they turn to goop.

I started my own hops last year (cascade), they flowered and I was not sure when to pick them and there wasn't that many to begin with, one day I was outside and I got this intense smell of grapefruit, it was dark and too awkward to pick them that night, the next day it rained a week straight and the temperature dropped, I lost all of them, sad story. But they are sprouting strong this year, I am excited to see how they turn out.

My folks live in Tampa Bay, Seminal or Largo, it all runs together, I love Florida such a happy place.

-Edit- I have two IC... one sits in ice water while the other is well, you know where. I live in 100+ summer weather and the ground water hangs in the mid 80's, the chiller for the ice water I made myself 20bucks from the hard ware store, only 10ft but it works, something to think about.

Totally on your side man, I am impressed you have so much luck with the siphon, especial when making IPA and such. You use a lot of leaf hops I am guessing from your profile link, "growing hops in keywest"? I have heard, I have no experience with leaf but I have heard they act as a natural filter? Maybe this is why I failed with the siphon, I have only used pellet hops and they turn to goop.

I started my own hops last year (cascade), they flowered and I was not sure when to pick them and there wasn't that many to begin with, one day I was outside and I got this intense smell of grapefruit, it was dark and too awkward to pick them that night, the next day it rained a week straight and the temperature dropped, I lost all of them, sad story. But they are sprouting strong this year, I am excited to see how they turn out.

My folks live in Tampa Bay, Seminal or Largo, it all runs together, I love Florida such a happy place.

-Edit- I have two IC... one sits in ice water while the other is well, you know where. I live in 100+ summer weather and the ground water hangs in the mid 80's, the chiller for the ice water I made myself 20bucks from the hard ware store, only 10ft but it works, something to think about.

Glad were on better ground now. Cones are definitely easier to filter than pellets though pellets settle better in the whirlpool. The strainer over the siphon tip is really what makes it happen though or even cones will get stuck. Good luck on the hop grow its a lot of fun. Growing them is pretty easy its knowing when to pick them I had trouble with.
I'm pretty happy with my IC set up though it would be nice to have a colder reservoir. I have a submersible pump with hoses and quick connects that runs my pool water through my IC. Works incredibly well down to about 80f then I let my 60f closet takes care of the rest.

I don't think its a waste of whirlfloc to pour. All filtering does is minimize trub loss. I never had much luck with whirlpooling and now I have a plate chiller I would need to recirc. to do so. So I transfer hot break and cold break to the fermenter. I use a 400 mircon hopspider to filter hop material.

I have also heard about break in the fermenter improving the flavour of the beer.

I use the petcock on the kettle and allow the wort to flow thru a strainer to help oxygenate it as is empties in the fermenter. The valve is positioned off the bottom enough to limit most trub from entering the fermenter . Of course when I monkey around and try to get every last drop I inevitably end up allowing trub thru.

Back