poured wort on sanitizer solution - HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
/
1. the cleanser is not toxic, and in fact not stable, but rather highly reactive so will be mainly broken down to peroxide then oxygen and water.

What's it reacting with? Ever run into oxidized beer? :D

I'd dump it and use the carboy space to make something I'd WANT to DRINK when it's done.

Guys, I'm not trolling here. I've been brewing a long time and seen a lot of dumb crap, but how something this stupid could get 78 responses beats me. The board has certainly changed, and IMO not for the better. If I had posted something like this when I came on, I'd have been laughed out of the interwebs, and it would have ranked up there with EAC..........
Dump the crap, and be done with it.

Of course when you came on, if you had told someone you just planned on leaving your beer on the primary yeast cake for 4 weeks or more, or not to fear the foam, people also would have laughed you out of these here interwebs. But people posted results and as a community we learned something.

In this case, the batch is potentially ruined, but most of the work is done, the ingredients are already potentially wasted and if its dumped now nobody learns anything.

I for one would be fascinated to hear how this comes out :fro:

Edited to add, I for one would not be a fan of the pineapple either however. If you really want to try that, it seems that experiment should be based on a beer that isn't already suspect.

In this case, the batch is potentially ruined, but most of the work is done, the ingredients are already potentially wasted and if its dumped now nobody learns anything.

What are we going to learn from this? Supposing the beer tastes good and he doesn't get sick from drinking it, then what?
Why have we been wasting all this time dumping out our sanitizer when we could have just been racking right onto it?

I don't care how this turns out, I would have dumped it - yes, it's a sad thing to do but I'm my own biggest critic and I don't think I could bring myself to drink something that is 20% sanitizer and still call myself a brewer.

But it isnt really 20% sanitizer is it?

I mean lets say he added 20 grams of sanitizer (at recommended dosage though it was probably less), which is half sodium percarbonate and half sodium sulfate. The percarbonate breaks down into carbonate and peroxide, and the peroxide decomposes into O2 and water. Since it is disolved, you are left with nothing but sodium ions, sulfate ions and carbonate ions. Nothing more.

Sulphate is regularly added in the form of CaSO4 (gypsum) to increase hop bitterness, carbonate is omnipresent in groundwater.

Sodium levels vary, but if you use softened water which started quite hard, you could easily have these levels of sodium as well, depending of course what levels the OPs water had when he started. Heck gatorade has nearly 1000 milligrams of sodium per gallon. A single dose of eno is like 850 milligrams.

Hey, I'm no expert but this looks a lot more like a mineral addition then anything else. It is certainly not ideal, but what could we learn? We could learn not to fear a little percarbonate residue, if a completely over the top addition didn't make undrinkable beer.

We could also learn how to simulate burton-on-trent with a little sanitizer! (okay, sorry that was a joke)

edited to add: I don't want to create the illusion that I have the first idea what I am talking about here, this is merely my impression based on other things that I have read on these here interwebs and a high school diploma. There could very well be something more going on than my simplistic approach indicates, that someone with higher education and more intelligence than I have access to would understand.

edited a second time: I looked up the prevalence of sodium in drinking water, and found that the upper limits in public sources tends to top out around 250 mg/litre, and that over 200 mg/litre tends to be objectionable. Of course this is water where off tastes are more easily noticed. Assuming 20 grams of sanitizer in 5 gallons of beer, and sodium being 44 percent of the weight of the sanitizer, that would leave you a little over 460 mg/litre. So it sounds like the beer might taste a little salty?

Sorry to ressurect this, but it should be put to rest for good after this post...

For those still interested, I took a hydro sample of this today after 8 days in primary...was planning on racking to secondary to add pineapple. Reading was 1.008...OG was 1.050. Not bad attenuation for having a gallon of sanitizer in there. Anyway, after the read, I took a sip of the sample...and...BLECK!! I brewed a batch of saltwater. I know that the yeast might have worked off some of the off-flavor, but I had to dump, it tasted terrible!! Huge salt taste.

So there ya have it...dumped it afterall! Sorry to have wasted everyone's time.

Sorry to ressurect this, but it should be put to rest for good after this post...

For those still interested, I took a hydro sample of this today after 8 days in primary...was planning on racking to secondary to add pineapple. Reading was 1.008...OG was 1.050. Not bad attenuation for having a gallon of sanitizer in there. Anyway, after the read, I took a sip of the sample...and...BLECK!! I brewed a batch of saltwater. I know that the yeast might have worked off some of the off-flavor, but I had to dump, it tasted terrible!! Huge salt taste.

So there ya have it...dumped it afterall! Sorry to have wasted everyone's time.

YAY! Our long awaited answer has arrived! Beer mixed with cleanser is gross. Now we can go off in search of other ways to screw up beer*.

*guilty of at least three, myself.

Huh, so the added 460 ppm sodium really came through eh? Considering seawater is a little over 10,000 ppm I would have hoped you'd have a little more wiggle room.

Thanks for updating, its great when these thread come full circle!

Latest posts

Back