pour over sparge results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnus314

Reaction score
OK, I promised these results, and here they are. I made a Budweiser-style beer this weekend. 10 gallon batch.

I boiled 4 gal water with 5# rice for 10 min (in the bag, would do 20 min next time), added about 3 gal cool water down to strike temp and stirred in barley.

Mashed in at 157*, put the lid on and went to my wife's brother's baby shower. Dudes in one building and girls in another. Weak, I know, don't get me started. BUT I caught two serious sized largemouth on a frog lure in the lake behind his house, so it wasn't too bad :)

Came home 4+ hours later and heated to mash out at 168.

Pour over sparged ~7 gals (@150ish degrees, all I had). Poured 1 gal, let it drain a little, poured another, etc. Took about 10min total.

Boiled 75 mins by timing accident (forgot 2nd hop addition and whirlfloc until too late).

Chilled using a pump and the r/o waste water through an immersion coil chiller, down to 70*. Pitched s04 slurry and into chiller.

After all, I UNDER sparged about 1.5 gallons, and ended up with 10 gallons even (after leaving the whirlpool cone behind) in the fermenters (and I usually shoot for 11 gals/5.5 in each).

86% efficiency and clear, sweet wort. I have gotten 81 -88% efficiency on this recipe in the past, and with 1-1.5 gallons undersparged I'd guess I maxed out my efficiency.

I am now a pour over sparge BIAB brewer.

Last edited:
Might have something to do with the super long mash. Did you happen to measure the mash temp after you got back home?

Yeah. This recipe normally uses a 4 hour mash to get a dry finished product.

It's a variation I've developed over the years that was inspired by Shlenkerla's lite beer recipe, but I jacked up the flavor and complexity a bit.

I'm just stoked that I got basically the same results this time with a pour over sparge that I used to get with a double batch sparge... makes things a lot easier!

Back