Potential Lactic acid mash issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after doing some more extensive reading in several resources both online and in my books, i have decided to purchase an RO kit and learn to build water from 0. That way, no matter what i am starting from the same point, and where i am going in Guam, i wont have to worry about the subtle changes in the local supply, nor will i be relying on what to water plant distributes every 2 years.

I found the HbrewO system to meet my needs of easy usage as well as transportability.

Now I think that is really the best way to go but there is another way to get 0 alkalinity water without water reports, calculators or spreadsheets and with out fear of the consequences of secular variation in the alkalinity of the water supply and that is to acidify the water to your desired mash pH prior to each brewing session. Then tell your spreadheet or calculator that you are using 0 alkalinity water and let it calculate the additional acid required for the grains (and the diminution thereto because of calcium additions). If the 0 alaklinity calculation tells you you need to add a base rather than an acid things get a little trickier. I'll be happy to explain what to do in that case as soon as someone asks "Gee, what do you do if your calculator tells you you need to add base?" but though I have been pushing this approach for a couple of years now (since I found out that Sierra Nevada was doing it) no one has ever asked.

Try to keep the Boiginae out of your gear in any case.

Last edited:
Now I think that is really the best way to go but there is another way to get 0 alkalinity water without water reports, calculators or spreadsheets and with out fear of the consequences secular variation in the water supply and that is to acidify the water to your desired mash pH prior to each brewing session.

My only concern in the teaching of this approach is that the unaware listener to such teaching may misconstrue it to imply that this "intermediate" process simplification is the end-all answer and becomes in effect all that is required, and that beyond this there is no further need of concern for the pH nature of the grist components, or the aggregate of the grist components with respect to a final mash pH, with the addition of a far lesser influence that is associated with mineralization.

The truth of course is that there is still serious concern for the very real influence of the acidity of the aggregate grist regardless of the alkalinity nature of the strike water, and also to the influence of mineralization upon mash pH.

I usually, when advocating this approach, tell people that if they take it they should then use their calculator with an value of 0 entered for alkalinity but I didn't this time because no one seems to understand the implications of this approach sufficiently well to try it so I figured I'd just be wasting my time. But as you have mentioned this aspect of it I went back and edited No. 42 to include the material that should cover your concern. Thus everyone who was at all interested in what I saud in No. 42 should go back and read it again.

Now I think that is really the best way to go but there is another way to get 0 alkalinity water without water reports, calculators or spreadsheets and with out fear of the consequences of secular variation in the alkalinity of the water supply and that is to acidify the water to your desired mash pH prior to each brewing session. Then tell your spreadheet or calculator that you are using 0 alkalinity water and let it calculate the additional acid required for the grains (and the diminution thereto because of calcium additions). If the 0 alaklinity calculation tells you you need to add a base rather than an acid things get a little trickier. I'll be happy to explain what to do in that case as soon as someone asks "Gee, what do you do if your calculator tells you you need to add base?" but though I have been pushing this approach for a couple of years now (since I found out that Sierra Nevada was doing it) no one has ever asked.

So your saying.....collect my 10 gallons of RO, then get the ph to 5.35 (target ph) but in brun water, put the carbonate/bicarbonate to 0, with a ph of 7.0 and add in my grains and see what it says for acid additions?

So your saying.....collect my 10 gallons of RO, then get the ph to 5.35 (target ph) but in brun water, put the carbonate/bicarbonate to 0, with a ph of 7.0 and add in my grains and see what it says for acid additions?
Yes, that is the procedure but it really isn't necessary for RO water as its alkalinity is essentially 0 without adding acid. Thus it will take very very little acid to shift the pH of RO water to target and you will have to be quite careful with your acid addition or you will undershoot. The alkalinity of pure water to pH 5.35 is 0.00437 mEq/L. For 10 gallons (37.5L) you would thus need 0.164 mEq. The 88% lactic acid we buy is 11.4 N to pH 5.35 so you would need only 0.0144 mL of that were the RO water essentially pure. In fact you will probably need 2 - 4 times that much as real RO water is going to contain some bicarb. Were you to decide to do this with RO water it would probably be best to put 1 mL of lactic acid in 100 mL of DI water and use that rather than the neat acid.

Better yet with RO water just skip this, tell the program that the water's alkalinity is 0 and proceed from there. The small amount of alkalinity in RO water won't induce enough error to make an appreciable difference.

But the value of this method is that it allows accurate treatment of carbonaceous waters when the alkalinity is appreciable but not exactly known. It also eliminates calculation errors induced by naive calculators/spreadsheets algorithms, errors in data entry, lab errors... because no calculations are involved (in most cases).

I'll be happy to explain what to do in that case as soon as someone asks "Gee, what do you do if your calculator tells you you need to add base?" but though I have been pushing this approach for a couple of years now (since I found out that Sierra Nevada was doing it) no one has ever asked.

This got me thinking about this a bit more. It turns out that it is simpler to determine what to do when base is required that I thought it would be. And as the technique is potentially of such great value to homebrewers I wrote it up as a candidate Sticky and posted it at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/the-0-effective-alkalinity-method.651983/

Latest posts

Back