Potential "group buy" for bulk GF grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jguthner

Reaction score
I know I'm not thoroughly "vetted" due to my low forum activity, but bear with me, I've got a potentially interesting opportunity for those looking to source some GF grains.

My LHBS owned by good friends in Wyoming brought in a ton of GF grains from Grouse malting Co. on the request of my wife (celiac) and I who wanted to start all-grain GF brewing, but they have decided to liquidate them all due to lack of sales...we've been their only customer so far in weeks. The result is ~500 lbs of grains which they are trying to quick-sell to recoup some of their expenses. They've made me an offer to sell their entire inventory for a set price. I would like to buy them at this steep discount since GF grains for brewing are quite expensive and it could provide enough grain for us to brew for the foreseeable future...but we can't possibly use all of it and I'm looking to see if there is any interest in parting it out.

1) Is there anything against forum rules about organizing private sales of grains?

2) Is there any interest among forum members to buy some of these grains from me if I were to buy the entire lot?

-Grain was purchased directly from Grouse, and has been stored in a dedicated room in the LHBS in airtight containers. The GF room had its own dedicated grain mill and was behind closed doors away from the rest of the grains. Potential for cross-contamination = near zero.

-Cost would be between $2 and $4 per pound depending on the grain. I'm not looking to turn a profit here, just get some grains into the hands of GF brewers at a cheaper cost. Shipping would be my actual cost to the penny to send it to your door.

-Varieties available: American roasted millet (27), buckwheat groats (25), Cara millet (26), Cara roasted millet (27), Chocolate roasted millet (26), Dark roasted millet (26), French roasted millet (27), Light roasted millet (26), Medium roasted millet (24), Munich millet (27), Organic pale buckwheat (27), Organic roasted buckwheat (26), Pale millet (~130), and Vienna millet (26). (Quantities in lbs)

-I'm willing to accept the risk since I'm new around here...if you're a veteran member or have someone to vouch for you I'll ship prior to payment.

Thanks for your time...thoughts?

*Update: I just bought them and brought them home! I might have just become the single largest private GF grain holder in the state. :rockin:*

-Jason

KA5V1sTDFJknCM1t9

IMG_20170808_160018.jpg

I would do it but I have plenty of grain right now. I tried to get my LHBS to become an east coast supplier and they would not go for it. I even offered to purchase the first pallet of product so they would have no risk. They got samples from Eckart and tried to contact Grouse and CMC but never followed through. That is a real bummer if your LHBS tried it and abandoned. Probably hard to get the word out fast enough to the extent that you get enough early sales to make it look profitable. We need more distributor options. I am in Florida and essentially pay for shipping From Colorado or California to Oregon and then from there back across the country to Florida. Keep the post active until you get it moving. Good luck!

What do you still have? I have been malting my own grains, which is a lot cheaper than buying the GF malts, but this might be a good opportunity to compare what I make to professional malts.

What do you still have? I have been malting my own grains, which is a lot cheaper than buying the GF malts, but this might be a good opportunity to compare what I make to professional malts.

I still have it all in the quantities listed above, minus about 17 pounds that's been set aside for my upcoming brew day! PM me with what you're interested in and we can work out the specifics.

Responded to your PM.

I can confirm that this is legit, for other people who find this thread that are interested. I got my malt today!

I'm back in town after the first (very unsuccessful) elk hunt of the year and ready to ship some grains! I've found that shipping to CAN is fairly expensive, but the grain price is so cheap it might be worth it for you, so don't hesitate to message me for details.

Bumping for those who want to brew this winter...still have lots of grains!

I am interested in a couple pounds of the dark roast millet. I am in IL. I am happy to pay upfront using chase Quickpay. If it is not worth your time, no worries.

I'm just starting out in the all-grain world. I'll order here for my next batch!

I am interested in a couple pounds of the dark roast millet. I am in IL. I am happy to pay upfront using chase Quickpay. If it is not worth your time, no worries.

JMath and brewGF: Apologies for the late response, holidays have been a little crazy around my place this year. JMath, can't wait to see your next order! brewGF, it's always worth my time to get fellow GF brewers great grains for their brew days! I'm not familiar with Quickpay, but I'm happy to create an account if needed. Is PayPal an option for you? I'll PM you a shipping quote in the next couple days and we can go from there.

Cheers!

Just completed a great transaction with brewGF...dunno if he needs any "vouching" on the site, but if so, he's got my endorsement! I hope you enjoy your grains!

@jguthner: I PM'd you regarding a purchase (set up conversation on this new system). Either you have not responded or I initiated it incorrectly and you never received it. Not stoked on the new homebrewtalk setup yet. Anyway, I will purchase grain this week one way or the other.

JMath and Glutarded: I responded to both conversations a moment ago. Forum responses and private messages have been getting filtered to my junk mail despite having the forum address on my "safe" list...very frustrating for me.

I'm sorry if it's too late to get anything going, I understand if you're already gone another direction. I sent my personal email to you both so I can be more responsive to inquiries in the future, as well as price quotes for your requested grain list.

Jason

**Update** I think I have found the issue. I had an email subscription manager that was making decisions for me and filtering things to my junk mail despite being on the "safe senders" list. And technology was supposed to make life easier...

Last edited:
I just received my grains from jgunther as well. All legit. Quick and easy communication and shipping. I'll be back for more.

jguthner, are your quantities listed above still accurate? Looking to plan another batch.

jguthner, are your quantities listed above still accurate? Looking to plan another batch.

JMath,

My Pale Millet is down to about 80lbs and I've sold fairly small quantities of everything else. I would say I'm not below 20lbs on any of the specialty grains except maybe chocolate millet...I would guess 15lbs. Shoot me a PM and I'll verify I have the quantities you need.

Thanks for the reminder...I need to get in one of these days and update my original post.

Just got my grains delivered today. Thanks so much for the quick turnaround Jason. Now I just need to figure out a recipe and get some free time. Cheers :mug:

I think it's been shown that this thread is legit, but I'll just add that I received 30lbs of grains today. Contacted @jgunther a few days ago and today they were at my doorstep. I'll be bummed when he runs out.

**UPDATE***

Pale Millet Malt: SOLD OUT

Everything else is still available, but in limited quantities....you guys have been buying me out! I love it, it means we're brewing some great GF beers!
PM me or send email ([email protected]) to ask about specific quantities!

Back