Potential clog in blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublimnl

Reaction score
Hi all, I just made my first brew last night - I got the 1 gallon kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop and it came with the all grain A Well Made Triple mix.

Everything went pretty smoothly (after confirming the instructions and getting improvements/clarifications from a friend who has been brewing for a while). So this morning I saw the sanitized water bubbling and everything looked great.

Now, a little over 12 hours later, I come home and did a quick peek and notice the water is still bubbling, however in a place where the rubber tube was bent in the packaging there is some foam built up. I notice traces of foam else where in the tube but it's very minor and seems like it would be OK - but in this crease it's built up enough that it has me concerned that it will dry and clog the blow tube.

Is this a legitimate concern or can I safely ignore it?

Thanks!

That is most likely the krausen in the tubing that came up when the beer was in the most active part of fermentation which is why there is some small traces in other parts of the tube. As long as the CO2 is still escaping you will be fine, I would get a replacement tube just in case it does clog. If it clogs then take the replacement tube, sanitize it, and replace it with the clogged tube.

As long as its bubbling you're ok. By the time I swap out my blowoff hose for an airlock they're usually full of foam/krausen remnants and even yeast.

You will love this kit. I have been using their stuff for a few months now. Go buy their recipe book I highly recommend it. Then go buy 3 one gallon jugs of cider/juice and use the jugs to make more beer. I buy the ingredients for their recipes at Austin Home Brew. You can build a grain bill there based on their recipes.

I just brewed their World's Best Dad Light last night and I have some crazy fermentation going on. My blow off tube is loaded with krausen/foam but I have mad bubbles in my sanitized pot catching everything. I used a 1/2 pack of basic dry yeast with no starter; just dumped it in shook it up like crazy and I had fermentation bubbles about 6 hours later and this morning woke up to some serious fermentation. This is a fun hobby and I thank BBS and their kits for getting me going. Any questions let me know!

Back