potato beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingViking

Reaction score
I just got some potatoes and planning on making some kick ass mashed potatoes. But I was wondering has anyone ever used the water from boiling the potatoes as mash water? I was thinking that it could add some interesting flavors.

Not sure about beer, but I do know someone that was making a sweet potatoe mead and they saved the water of the boil of sweet potatoe to add to the carboy.
It came out great!

You can even mash the potatoes! (Pun intended!) Provided you mash with something that has enough enzymes to convert the potato starch, of course. I don't imagine potatoes would contribute much flavor, but they might add a subtle touch in a very pale beer.

i had a home brewed potato stout at the home brew shop, surprisingly, you could taste the potato in it, but wasn't the least bit disgusting. smoothed out the higher ABV stout. i didn't ask what he had done with it,
i wonder what would convert the starches into sugars... hrm...

Huh, interesting to know. I wouldn't think you would be able to taste potatoes in a stout. Now I'm thinking I might have to brew a potato ESB. I had success with a pound of wild rice in an ESB, this might be another interesting twist. Any idea how much potato went into the stout?

not a clue, didn't get a chance to ask him. My friend was getting his home brew kit and talking with him getting all the info he could.

If you want to contact them and maybe get some info it's brew brothers out in hillsboro oregon (http://www.brewbrothers.biz/). Get the brother on the phone and not the sister though.. haha

Back