Potassium Sorbate in my honey..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogwinters

Reaction score
So I'm new to brewing in general, but along with beer I decided to have a few batches of mead going as well.

I decided for my second batch of mead I'd do a huckleberry mead since we have fantastic huckleberries in Montana (although they are out of season). So I found huckleberry honey at one of the local grocery stores . I checked the ingredients on the package and they were simply honey and huckleberry, no preservatives or anything.

Anyway, I went on with the whole process and as I was adding the last pound of honey I noticed on the label of this last package it had potassium sorbate listed which I had read inhibits fermentation.. after I noticed this I checked the other two packages and 2/3 had K-sorbate listed. they were all the same brand and everything so I was a little pissed off.

I decided to go ahead and pitch my yeast (Lalvin K1-v1116) anyway just to see if I could get any results. Low and behold, 4 hours later I have bubbles in the air lock and foam at the top of my jug.

Do you guys think my mead will continue to ferment and turn out well?
6BF4BD93-8A3E-4FB8-99A0-989F6BE6AB59_zpsgp5h6mtj.jpg

Looks good to me.... Note be prepared to wait at the very least 6-9 mo before drinking. Meads do very much better with age. I am about to make another batch of Cyser "apple mead". The last time I started it in March and it was not very good until October I have one bottle left saving for the anniversary. Going to double the batch this time.

Looks good to me.... Note be prepared to wait at the very least 6-9 mo before drinking. Meads do very much better with age. I am about to make another batch of Cyser "apple mead". The last time I started it in March and it was not very good until October I have one bottle left saving for the anniversary. Going to double the batch this time.

That was my whole Idea is having some mead aging while I'm brewing beer. I think you're probably right, fermentation seems to be coming along well.

Latest posts

Back