Potable water hose question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_tx_kbb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I currently use a white RV potable water hose during my brew sessions that is very unwieldy and a major PITA. I'm considering using one of those "pocket" hoses...I've tasted the water from it and haven't noticed any vinyl or rubber flavors. I'm looking for feedback....have you ever tried it?

Don't use garden hoses for drinking water. There is a reason they rate them drinking vs garden.

I use a potable hose to dispense into my kettles to boil like you. I also use a pocket hose to clean up after brew day. I agree with billl I wouldn't make beer with the water from it, it's not worth the risk.

Give me a break, water is in the hose for a few seconds. You can't leach a lot of chemicals in that time. I'll believe its unsafe when I see test data that also shows effect of the time and temperature of exposure to the hose.

Give me a break, water is in the hose for a few seconds, you can't leach a lot of chemicals in that time. I'll believe its unsafe when I see test data that also shows effect of the time and temperature of exposure to the hose.

Your're right, not a lot of chemicals will probably be leached from a few seconds in the hose. For me it's about the taste, hose water just doesn't taste very good.

"Give me a break, water is in the hose for a few seconds. You can't leach a lot of chemicals in that time. I'll believe its unsafe when I see test data that also shows effect of the time and temperature of exposure to the hose."

There is tons of test data. You need to pass certain standards for potable water. Garden hoses don't pass them.

I don't have a solution for you, I use a similar hose, I have to hang it in my garage after every brew session so it can drip dry as I don't want it to get mildew or something growing in it, a complete pain. But, hoses are part of the game.

There is tons of test data. You need to pass certain standards for potable water. Garden hoses don't pass them.

Standards aren't usually right on the line between safe and usafe. The only information I can find doesn't specify length or temperature, just that unsafe levels were found.

I agree there could be safety issues from drinking a large amount of water that sits in a hose on an asphalt driveway on a 90 degree day. However 55 degree water for 3 seconds has got to be orders of magnitude less chemical leaching.

My hose water tastes fine...

Standards aren't usually right on the line between safe and usafe. The only information I can find doesn't specify length or temperature, just that unsafe levels were found.

I agree there could be safety issues from drinking a large amount of water that sits in a hose on an asphalt driveway on a 90 degree day. However 55 degree water for 3 seconds has got to be orders of magnitude less chemical leaching.

My hose water tastes fine...

I have a co-worker who tells me that its ok to store his Scotch in leaded crystal decanters even though science says it leaches unsafe levels of lead...it tastes fine after all.

I have a co-worker who tells me that its ok to store his Scotch in leaded crystal decanters even though science says it leaches unsafe levels of lead...it tastes fine after all.

However pouring it into the lead crystal decanter for the night to serve it would be safe.

"I agree there could be safety issues from drinking a large amount of water that sits in a hose on an asphalt driveway on a 90 degree day. However 55 degree water for 3 seconds has got to be orders of magnitude less chemical leaching."

Yes, but the don't just run tests on hoses sitting in the sun all day. Testing for hoses in normal use do not meet standards for drinking water. Full stop. Advising people to use them for drinking water is irresponsible. We pay scientists and inspectors to test food products and determine their safety. That way, we have actual evidence instead of just relying on the opinion of some guy on the internet or a friend of a friend.

Besides not all toxic chemicals have taste. There are better quality "drinking water safe" hoses at RV supply stores. You can also buy heavy silicone and install your own 7/8" ends for supply lines.

Well old_tx_kbb I think you've successfully hit a hot debate. It all boils down (no pun intended) to what "YOU" feel is safe and the risk/reward you would gain by using a pocket hose. Remember we aren't drinking your beer, you are.

Dug up more info from the study that many articles use to instill fear. They basically tested a worst case scenario:

http://www.healthystuff.org/findings.050713.garden.php

"Municipal drinking water was placed in a Swan 50 ft Fairlawn Light Duty Hose garden hose and a Room Essentials 50 ft Light Duty Hose which was purchased in April 2013. The hoses were completely filled with water and each end was clamped-off to prevent water from contacting brass fitting. The hose was placed in a yard in full sunlight for two days (48 hours). The hose was unclamped and the water sample was directly collected from the hose into glass sample containers. Three samples were collected: a sample of water from the each hose and a faucet blank. Samples were analyzed by US EPA method SW8270C (SW3510C). The reporting/quantification limits for phthalate was 0.02 mg/L and for bisphenol A were 0.04 mg/L. All analysis were performed in accordance with the requirements of 35 IAC Part 186/NELAC standards."

The time difference alone would reduce the levels seen in the hoses by 4 orders of magnitude assuming the chemicals leach at a linear rate which they may not.

Drinking water standards were likely developed for systems where drinking water is exposed for long periods of time so of course a hose wouldn't be good to use for long term drinking water storage. 3 seconds of exposure is an entirely different issue.

" It all boils down (no pun intended) to what "YOU" feel is safe"

That isn't how science works. The OP's feelings about how safe something is have zero impact on the chemicals in a garden hose.

"Dug up more info from the study that many articles use to instill fear. They basically tested a worst case scenario:"

This is just nonsense. That "study" was run by a local TV station and has absolutely nothing to do with real scientific testing of products or setting standards for safety.

This is just nonsense. That "study" was run by a local TV station and has absolutely nothing to do with real scientific testing of products or setting standards for safety.

I agree that the study isn't comprehensive but information can be taken from it. The argument that a piece of equipment isn't safe because it doesn't meet an unrelated standard isn't very compelling.

"I agree that the study isn't comprehensive but information can be taken from it. The argument that a piece of equipment isn't safe because it doesn't meet an unrelated standard isn't very compelling."

You posted a link quoting a local TV station that had absolutely NOTHING to do with federal water safety standards and are using it to draw into questions federal water safety standards. Its a complete strawman argument. The fact that a random TV anchor doesn't understand water safety testing in no way undermines the conclusions of the real scientists who do.

Federal water safety standards have little to do with running water through a hose for 3 seconds, they are meant to ensure safety of the drinking water supply as a whole. Not everything that touches water has to meet a govt standard to be safe.

Also that wasn't from a TV station report, and the government isn't the only one that can do legitimate testing. Their testing looks decent to me but not all of the conclusions they draw from it do.

Scroll down to the bottom of your link and you'll see they are repeating the test of ABC's Phoenix affiliate KNXV-TV. It's totally unrelated to federal standards or tests.

And of course the government isn't the only one who can do testing....but you linked to a test that shows hoses to be dramatically MORE dangerous that would ever be allowed near drinking water. Then you are saying that test was extreme and it wouldn't really be that bad, so somehow that translates into "it'll be fine." ???

You should never drink hot water from a garden hose that has been lying around. You could be drinking water contaminated at levels 100 times what is considered safe.

You should not drink water from a garden hose even after it has been running. While it is better than drinking the stagnant water, it still will have variety of nasty pollutants in it at concentrations well above what is considered safe for drinking water. A sip isn't going to kill you, but you don't want to make a habit of drinking it in 5 gallon batches.

It will likely be fine because the water you would be using to fill a mash tun is exposed to the hose for less than 1/10,000 of the time used in that test. But that wouldn't make for a good article...

You could run water through a lead pipe under the right conditions and still have it be safe to drink.

Something does not have to be certified safe for it to be safe.

Another thought, would a carbon filter remove any of the hose chemicals? If so, run the garden hose to a filter and then a short stretch of tubing can go from the filter to HLT.

I currently use a white RV potable water hose during my brew sessions that is very unwieldy and a major PITA. I'm considering using one of those "pocket" hoses...I've tasted the water from it and haven't noticed any vinyl or rubber flavors. I'm looking for feedback....have you ever tried it?

Just curious...what is a PITA about the potable hose? I'm still looking for a solution for the garage and was going to use the same but now you have me thinking twice.

BTW...How about some flexible silicone hose with a garden hose adapter?

John

I have a Y splitter in my garage. Cut a RV hose into 2 sections, each 12'. One side I run for cleaning. The other I use a RV inline charcoal filter for filling kettles. The shorter length makes it easier to handle. All my water line is potable certified and my kettle hose is filtered.

The RV fileter at walmart was under $20

Latest posts

Back