Pot to Soil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbender209

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I received a couple of rhizomes back in June and since they came at an inopportune time, I quickly planted them in pots. Now they’re growing like gangbusters, so I was wondering how and when I should transfer them to soil for their permanent home. Thanks!

Probably best to get them in the ground now. There most likely will be somewhat of a setback (some leaves dyeing back and also some of the tender new growth) but if they're growing as well as you say, they've got a decent root system going. After a week or two you should see some new growth and the plants should finish off the year in good shape, If you don't see whole lot of new growth, don't worry. As long as you see some progress all is well as once the plants have a decent root system going into the winter they should over-winter well and be ready to go next spring. Next spring, let everything grow because the crown (rhizome + roots) didn't have a full season to mature so basically treat them like first year plants just to be safe.

As for how to transfer them, just turn the pots upside down while supporting the above ground growth with your other hand and then place into a prepared planting hole. (If this is what you're getting at)

I agree with what BHoppy said.

I’ll also add that GLH is specific about making sure that the root ball or dirt level from the current pot is level with the dirt in it’s new home. Plant too low and you risk root rot. Too high and the plug will act like a wick and risk nutrient burn.

I’m sure they will take pretty easily, since it sounds like they’re already healthy.

Probably best to get them in the ground now. There most likely will be somewhat of a setback (some leaves dyeing back and also some of the tender new growth) but if they're growing as well as you say, they've got a decent root system going. After a week or two you should see some new growth and the plants should finish off the year in good shape, If you don't see whole lot of new growth, don't worry. As long as you see some progress all is well as once the plants have a decent root system going into the winter they should over-winter well and be ready to go next spring. Next spring, let everything grow because the crown (rhizome + roots) didn't have a full season to mature so basically treat them like first year plants just to be safe.

As for how to transfer them, just turn the pots upside down while supporting the above ground growth with your other hand and then place into a prepared planting hole. (If this is what you're getting at)

Excellent! Thanks for the insight. Looks like I know what I’m doing tonight.

Back