Pot Diameter for Induction Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dlawrence529

Reaction score
I'm looking at making the jump to induction brewing during the winter months. I was wondering if there are any limitations on the maximum pot diameter that can be used on induction burners. I only plan to make extract brews using a partial boil (+/- 4 gallon). I am looking at the Avantco 1800w. I would like to use my 8 gallon pot to cut down on costs. My pot has a diameter of 13.5". It looks like the Avantco cooktop is only 11.75" wide and it is listed for "pans up to 10.25" bottom diameter". Has anyone used this cooktop with larger pots?

I have used a larger pot on my induction burner and it worked ok.
The issue is that unlike a typical heat source that is focused on heating the entire bottom of your pot, the induction burner will only heat the area directly over the induction element. This creates a hot spot in the center of your pot that will be heating everything else.
The rest of the bottom of the pot will heat up as heat transfers outwards, but I find it works better with a smaller pot.

I use an Avantco 3500w with a pot of 13.75" which hangs over the cooktop a good bit but it works fine.

I've got the avantco 3500w with a bayou 1064. Quite a but hangs over. The only portion that gets hot is the area within the circle on the unit itself (and the pot portion over it). Doesn't matter how much hangs over.

Back