Post your infection

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Weaves

Reaction score
Used a vintners best hemp wine base, made half by itself and put the other half into a cider house kit. Both of those had this oily kinda film on top that when I put my wine thief in broke apart. Could this be something from the hemp (the base contains cbd) or something starting??

6FCAB56D-C74E-4530-8643-EE2908B214C4.jpeg
1492A76B-7EBE-4E73-AB82-4F1FBC2AEF14.jpeg

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Used a vintners best hemp wine base, made half by itself and put the other half into a cider house kit. Both of those had this oily kinda film on top that when I put my wine thief in broke apart. Could this be something from the hemp (the base contains cbd) or something starting??

View attachment 688710View attachment 688711
The photos are inconclusive. Though, it sounds more likely to be caused by the ingredients.

Try a "forced pellicle test":

OwenConwayBrewingCo

Reaction score
To keep or not to keep? That is the question 😂 (it's a raspberry, black and red currant wine, one week on and 'infected' but still smells amazing)
15944632154635817286139665092141.jpg

Sbe2

Reaction score
😬... looks like mold to me. Drink at your own peril...

BWS

Reaction score
Greetings. Safe or bin??

SMaSH , Pilsen/Tettnanger - S-04. Day 6 of fermentation

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings. Safe or bin??

SMaSH , Pilsen/Tettnanger - S-04. Day 6 of fermentation

Have you been keeping an eye on it from the beginning? That looks to me like you had a pellicle form before fermentation started.
That yeast strain is also known to form some weird-looking flocculations, so that may also be a possibility.

In my opinion there's no reason to dump a contaminated beer. Just check for the presence of off-flavors before packaging.

If you bottle, monitor them careful because if it is contamination, then there's a risk of over-carbonation.

BWS

Reaction score
Cheers! I did wait for fermentation to start so yes I did keep an eye on it daily. I started with a blow off tube as I filled to carboy to fill I suspect. There was quite a bit of blow off. I changed the blow off tube after day 3 and fitted a bung and airlock.

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Cheers! I did wait for fermentation to start so yes I did keep an eye on it daily. I started with a blow off tube as I filled to carboy to fill I suspect. There was quite a bit of blow off. I changed the blow off tube after day 3 and fitted a bung and airlock.
Just make sure it's not hairy or fuzzy.

DasBaldDog

Reaction score
So this is my Triple-Berry Berliner Weisse that we kettle soured.

Did the mash, let sit with lacto for 4 days, finished up with a boil and a 9ish day primary using K-97 yeast (read that it was good for Berliners.... since I HATE US-05).

Anyways, primary went fine, tasted nice and tart, etc.... added the fruit puree (made from frozen then thawed and blended fresh fruit)..... had a brainfart and didn't pasteurize the puree. Put the puree in a fine-mesh nylon bag an added to the beer. About a week later I noticed the pellicle on the surface of the liquid and bag, removed the bag last night and I have the below picture this morning.

Still smells good, and if its Brett or Lacto it seems very unlikely to hurt the style (more likely to improve it) but I was looking for a minimal variable base as this is the first Berliner I've ever made. Oh well. Live and learn.

108047663_653742185228775_3831693083715795291_n.jpg