Post-IPA-Day brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IdoNisso

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Once again I would like to hear your thoughts on a recipe I'm planning to try.
Brewed mostly stouts and porters up till now, and I'm gonna try an IPA after tasting some amazing IPAs during the IPA day couple weeks back.
Thinking of giving it an imperial twist, hence the corn sugar.

Batch Size: 5 gal
Boil Size: 6 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
OG: 1.072
FG: 1.018
IBU: 119
ABV: 7.0%
SRM: 17
Yeast: Safale US-05. 2 packs on brew day, 1 pack on bottling day.
Starter: Yes, at least 2 hours.

9 lbs Muntons light LME
1 lbs Dark Crystal (steeped for 30 min at 65 C)
1 lbs Brown Sugar

1 oz Columbus (14.5%) - 60 min
0.5 oz Chinook (11%) - 60 min

0.5 oz Chinook (11%) - 30 min

0.5 oz Amarillo (9.3%) - 15 min
0.5 oz Chinook (11%) - 15 min

1 oz Columbus (14.5%) - 5 min
0.5 oz Amarillo (9.3%) - 5 min
0.5 oz Chinook (11%) - 5 min

1 oz Chinook (11%) - dry hop 7 days
1 oz Amarillo (9.3%) - dry hop 7 days

14 days on primary, then rack to secondary with dry hops.

The dark crystal malt is almost entirely because I like my beer dark :p
So, what do you guys think?
What yeast do you guys recommend? (used mainly Muntons and Danstar till now, don't get much variety around here)

Thanks alot!

Sounds good! This is what I'm into now ipa hoppy with +7% alcohol rating!
This is the yeast I'm using doesn't mellow the hop flavour at all!
Yeast - SAFALE US-05
http://www.westbrew.com.au/showProduct/Home+Brewing/Yeasts/550009
Do you know any web home brew stores that sell Columbus hops internationally?? I can't get hold of these in western Australia.
Also I use blackrock dark LME in my IPAs

I think I can get my hands on that type of yeast. I'll try it out, thanks!!!
Unfortunately, don't know any international stores, I use the local ones.. :(

Hi guys, I just started brewing again after some time off. To get my feet wet again (so to speak) I did a Summer Wheat with a little bump in alcohol. My next is an imperial IPA. I have never dry hopped and was wondering what prevents contamination like wild yeast and nasty bugs? I will have a bumper crop of hops this year and would like to try dry hopping but don't want to see fuzzy things growing in my beer. Your IPA looks great on paper (I like big beers) and 10 pounds of sugar should make it plenty big.

Well, the hops themselves have preservative properties, so there is a very small chance of infection.
If you're still unsure, you can steam the hops before adding them in the wort to minimize infection chance. (I've never done this, never had the need)

Hey guys,
Once again I would like to hear your thoughts on a recipe I'm planning to try.
Brewed mostly stouts and porters up till now, and I'm gonna try an IPA after tasting some amazing IPAs during the IPA day couple weeks back.
Thinking of giving it an imperial twist, hence the corn sugar.

Batch Size: 5 gal
Boil Size: 2.5 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
OG: 1.073
FG: 1.018
IBU: 106
ABV: 7.1%
SRM: 18
Yeast: still unknown, any recommendations?

9 lbs Muntons light LME
1 lbs Dark Crystal (steeped for 30 min)
1 lbs corn sugar
1 oz Columbus (14.5%) - 60 min
1 oz Chinook (11%) - 30 min
0.5 oz Amarillo (9.3%) - 15 min
0.5 oz Chinook (11%) - 15 min
0.5 oz Amarillo (9.3%) - 5 min
0.5 oz Chinook (11%) - 5 min
0.3 Columbus (14.5%) - 1 min
0.3 Chinook (11%) - 1 min
0.3 Amarillo 9.3%) - 1 min
1 oz Chinook (11%) - dry hop 7 days
1 oz Amarillo (9.3%) - dry hop 7 days

The dark crystal malt is almost entirely because I like my beer dark :p
So, what do you guys think?
What yeast do you guys recommend? (used mainly Muntons and Danstar till now, don't get much variety around here)

Thanks alot!

Wow, i had no idea that Israel had access to all this stuff! I lived in Jerusalem for a year and i would constantly make the drive up to Tel Aviv for The Old Man and The Sea seafood restaurant. It's literally seconds from the Mediterranean and their food is spectacular.

Hi guys, I just started brewing again after some time off. To get my feet wet again (so to speak) I did a Summer Wheat with a little bump in alcohol. My next is an imperial IPA. I have never dry hopped and was wondering what prevents contamination like wild yeast and nasty bugs? I will have a bumper crop of hops this year and would like to try dry hopping but don't want to see fuzzy things growing in my beer. Your IPA looks great on paper (I like big beers) and 10 pounds of sugar should make it plenty big.

Like Ido said, the hops aren't going to introduce bugs most likely. The other thing you have going for you is that alcohol in your beer will kill off the majority of harmful bugs before you even have a chance to think about it.

Wow, i had no idea that Israel had access to all this stuff! I lived in Jerusalem for a year and i would constantly make the drive up to Tel Aviv for The Old Man and The Sea seafood restaurant. It's literally seconds from the Mediterranean and their food is spectacular.

Actually, a new brew shop opened up and he's importing all kinds of goodies from Europe and the states, it's really recent and awesome :rockin:
I know the restaurant, it really is good!

Back on topic - any comments on the recipe?

You said you like dark beer... why not use light brown sugar instead of corn sugar as your "bump"? Would add a little extra color and maybe some more complexity. You have lots of different hops to compliment, almost looks like a continuous hoped 60 minute IPA with a little twist. I think it will be great as written.

Thanks a lot for the input thdrduck.
I've never used brown sugar in my brewing before, I think I'll give it a try.

No one said anything about my boil volume.
I was told IPAs might not turn out so well if they're partially boiled and then topped off cause of IBU maxing out at 100. Any thoughts on this?

your hop utilization will be altered (comparitively, concerning a full volume boil) if you boil partial batches and then top off in your fermentor with however much water it takes to gain 5 net gallons.

You hop schedule is simply at which intervals you add your hop additions to your boil. For example: 60min - 1oz Tettnanger, 15mins - .25oz Hallertauer, 5mins .25 Hallertauer.

Also, there have been many studies on how many IBU's a person can taste as well as the ACTUAL vs PERCEIVED bitterness a person experiences.

None of the experiments that i've read about or participated in myself have yielded confirmed results but the general consensus is that there is a threshold that you hit and then you can continue to add hops to no real effect. So, the perceived bitterness keeps you from experiencing the calculated figure. Your brewing software will continue to add IBU points into infinity as long as you keep adding hops, but that doesn't mean that you'll be able to taste anything above a certain threshold.

Some have speculated that around 60 IBUs is the maximum possible bittering units a person can actually taste the difference of. Also, bitterness has much to do with the amount of balancing ingredients that go along with the hop profile. I can brew up a SMaSH recipe and have the bitterness conception be off the charts just by holding back on the grain bill and not balancing my ingredients.

Sorry for the novel.

No need to be sorry!
I knew about the maximum bitterness thing, only I read somewhere it was around 100 IBUs, not 60's. Good to know.
Thanks for all the feedback and comments, I truly appreciate it.

No worries my friend. Anyone who enjoys The Old Man and The Sea as much as i did is welcome in my book.

Please tell me you've smoked their hubbly bubbly! :)

I brewed this beer 3 days ago, and I MUST say it seems amazing.
(I found a big new pot, so I did a full volume boil instead of topping it off.)
After I chilled the wort, I took a reading it was EXACTLY 1.072 like all the calculators said it would be. It tasted really hoppy, even with the malty sweetness of the first day.
I added 2 Safale US-05 packs to it, after I gave them ~3 hours to start their magic with some wort on the side. The fermentation is amazing, the best I've ever had. It's like a kid is blowing air into a glass with a straw, even after 2 days!
In two days time, I'm gonna move the wort to secondary with 2 oz of dry hops for another week then I'll bottle.
Must say, I have big expectations right now. :rockin:

If anyone would want to brew this, I've tweaked the recipe a bit after having a few conversations with my LHBS about it. I'll edit the original post to match the recipe.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Cheers!

I'd give it more than 5 days in primary. It can take longer to reach a stable FG. Which is what you want before dry hopping. You want the yeast settled out to a slight haze to retain more of the hop oils,ime.

I'd give it more than 5 days in primary. It can take longer to reach a stable FG. Which is what you want before dry hopping. You want the yeast settled out to a slight haze to retain more of the hop oils,ime.

+1 on longer primary

Back