Post-fermentation steps for newbies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonobie

Reaction score
Been reading here for the past week or so while not-so-patiently waiting for my first two brews (an Amber and a Stout) to ferment in their buckets.

I believe I understand the next steps, but just want to confirm:

1. After 3 weeks, siphon the beer out of my fermenting bucket into my 2 super clean sanitized kegs. I have a spigot on the bottom of my bucket, but that's for hydrometer readings, right?

2. Put the C02 on the 2 kegs to the appropriate amount for ~70 degrees (no keggerator yet) based on the magic table I've seen posted a couple of times on here.

3. Wait ~2 more weeks for carbonation, leaving it in my 68-70 degree basement.

4. Put in an ice bucket early in the morning. In the evening, invite friends over to test.

Generally correct?

If you have tubing for the spigot I guess you could use that to rack the beer into the kegs. Otherwise use a racking cane. You probably know this but since you didn't specifically say it I'll mention that you should be very careful not to splash your beer or expose it to an unnecessary amount of oxygen when transferring.

Otherwise that all sounds fine and good. Personally, I force carbonate at 35PSI for about a day and a half but the two week method is fine too.

Once you get transferred into the kegs and the lid sealed via pressure from the CO2 release the pressure through the relief valve with a short burst, then let the CO2 refill the keg again. Repeat this a few times. CO2 is heavier than O2 meaning you will essentially purge the oxygen from the keg and your beers will be in a CO2 only environment. Also I have found my stouts have always seemed to taste a little "smoother" after a little aging. Be patient, we all just can't wait to pour a pint or six, but patience is almost always rewarded.

Bottling isn't so bad, especially when you can still get awesome beer for much cheaper. The only issue I see with using the spigot will be the depth of your trub layer. Even if its under the spigot, you'll be more likely to disturb and pull off some of the trub into the keg. I would recommend siphoning if you could.

Bottling isn't so bad, especially when you can still get awesome beer for much cheaper. The only issue I see with using the spigot will be the depth of your trub layer. Even if its under the spigot, you'll be more likely to disturb and pull off some of the trub into the keg. I would recommend siphoning if you could.

Good point, I was thinking of those fancy Better Bottles with the adjustable diptub that you can point above the layer of trub but if it's just a regular old bucket with a spigot I would definitely avoid it. And bottling still sucks....capping is fun for like the first 8 bottles but I hate it....so much work and cleaning...

Also; good move jumping head first into kegging! Bottling beer sucks....

I disagree!

Bottling beer I find to be very therapeutic. Cleaning them, scrubbing them, delabeling, (ok maybe not that part) soaking- rinsing- sanitizing- and racking right into the foam.

Its not for everybody but I want to go into my pantry and pull out a six of this or that, or a mix of this and that- and bring some here and there- etc. So much easier in a bottle.

Im going to see a band tonight possibly- and might sneak a few of my homebrews in there along with a pint glass so I can enjoy beer in style instead of though the tap that some crap comes out of.

Thanks, all - good advice. And any sentence that starts with "you probably already know this" is great, because I probably don't yet or could use a reminder!

I don't have a racking cane (not part of the beginners kit, and my splurge was on the kegs :), but I do have siphoning tubes, so assume I can just directly use those.

I presume when I start siphoning, I want to be careful not to jostle the buckets around too much when lifting them off the floor, right? I don't have any idea yet how "solid" trub actually is -- can't see through those cloudy plastic buckets.

I've done bottling-like behaviors before in other crafts. May eventually pick it up so I can give away bottles, but I knew it wasn't going to be quite my cup of tea in general.

I usually move my fermenter to my bottling location, let it sit for an hour or more depending, to let everything resettle, then you're good to go. It'll be ok to be out of your swamp cooler or cool location for a little.

If you are just using tubing I would recommend using some sort of filter and definitely do not put the tubing all the way to the bottom. FWIW - You should be able to get a racking cane for under $10, and an autosiphon for just a few more. Well worth it.

Bottle with a friend and trade off, makes it much more tolerable.

FWIW, I just picked up an autosiphon for around $10 yesterday at one of the only stores in my "area" that is only a hbs and not another business that sells something like hardware or pool supplies and just happens to sell brewing items... Also, my GPS likes to take me on way too many back country roads

Back