Post Brew day extract addition??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHaught

Reaction score
Last night I brewed an IPA but due to a miscalculation I missed my O.G. and ended up with a 1.052 and probably should have tried to be mid to high 1.060's.
It's a 5 gallon batch and has been fermenting since last night.
Can I boil up some concentrated wort and add it to the fermenter today to get my gravity up and if so how do I calculate how the addition will effect the gravity of the beer?

I had the same thing. I OG reading was 1.036. I boiled up 2lbs DME and added it. Gravity ended up at 1.062. It turned out fine. Almost like a late extract addition. I would ad maybe a pound of DME, take a reading and call it a day. There are formulas to calculate the OG based on extract addition if your really concerned with a specific number. I'd just add it and if it ends up at 1.070, no big deal.

There is no problem adding extract while it is fermenting. Some people do this deliberately for higher gravity beers, to reduce the osmotic pressure on the yeast.

1 lb of LME has 36 gravity points, so in 5 gallons, it will add 7 points per gallon.

1 lb of DME has 45 gravity points, so in 5 gallons, it will add 9 points per gallon.

Assuming you have 5 gallons at 1.052 (5 x 52 = 260 gravity points). If you add 2 lbs of LME in 0.5 gallons (2 x 36 = 72 gravity points), you will end up with 5.5 gallons of wort with and effective OG of 1.060. Total gravity points = 260 + 72 = 332. Divide 332 by 5.5 = 60, or 1.060.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up adding about 3/4 lb of DME boiled in about 1/3 gallon of water. Should have the desired effect.

Latest posts

Back