Possibly too bitter? How to fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergutbrew

Reaction score
During my brew I mixed up my aroma hop addition with my bittering addition, potentially making the beer too bitter for the amount of grains I used.

Is there something I can do to bring up the malt flavor to balance out the bitterness?

Add boiled DME to the secondary or primary?

The reason for my concern is one batch I had was the opposite, too sweet and not enough hop balance.

Or......should I sit back and enjoy later :tank:

Ingredients: Impromptu brew with leftover ingredients......
------------
Amount Item
2.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (50 min) 41.6 IBU
0.60 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) 8.8 IBU
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops
1 Pkgs safeale us-05 Yeast-Ale

it might be on the bitter side of things but you should be fine, late hop additions like 5 minutes and under don't add much in terms of ibus

Time will fade the bitterness for you. Give it a try and see how it comes out anyway, might be ok anyway.

it might be on the bitter side of things but you should be fine, late hop additions like 5 minutes and under don't add much in terms of ibus

The error was on the 60 minute boil addition, suppose to only add .5 ounce and I dumped in a full ounce :ban:

what did you end up with for an OG? I'm guessing around 1.04-1.045? It'll be more bitter than intended but it wont be overly bitter. more like a small IPA

I would certainly wait to try it to see if it really is too bitter for your tastes. If it is, one easy solution is to brew another batch of something that might help to mellow it and then blend the two. Depending on how you package, bottle or keg, you can do this per serving or in bulk. Brown ales tend to work real good for this purpose. I made an English IPA that got a bit too bitter and ended up blending it in the keg with a Mild. It turned out great.

I would also suggest blending. In my experience it takes a LONG time for the bitterness to drop out much. Who wants to wait that long to drink beer??

Finished out at 1.005. I'm going to let it sit for another week to give the yeast some more clean-up time. It was tasty though, bitter...not too bitter.

Too bitter......what's that mean!!

Back