Possible Stuck Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyd3r

Reaction score
I'm 24 days into fermenting a 1.080 brew and it's down to 1.030 right now. It's been there for about 10 days and doesn't seem to want to drop.

I just recently raised the temperature to about 68F(a cold front moved through, so I'm probably stuck here for a couple of days). I've swirled it around about once a day to try and get the yeast back to work. The question I now have...is this the best that I'm gonna get?

I used Danstar Notty, and rehydrated prior to pitching. I didn't make a starter batch, and kept the ferm temps pretty low 58-62F.

Anyway, is there something else that I should try if the gravity doesn't move after another week?

You could pitch a different neutral ale yeast like US-o5 and see what happens.

Oh when you raised the temp, did you also give the fermenter a GENTLE swirl just to lift the yeast of the bottom to see if they swim a bit and start eating again?

I'm not really sure how GENTLE is was...lol...I lifted it out of the swamp cooler and moved it around. I didn't shake the crap out of it, but I did let the yeast know who's boss. haha

S05 is a good choice +1, but as always in these cases you should post your recipe to see the amount of unfermentables, etc.

S05 is a good choice +1, but as always in these cases you should post your recipe to see the amount of unfermentables, etc.

Good point...

11# Pale LME
2# Crystal
.13# Roasted Barley
2oz Northern Brewer
1 Whirfloc
Danstar Notty

I've since moved the primary to another location and have warmed it up to 70F.

I'm closing in on 4 weeks in primary and want a plan of attack if this thing still hasn't moved...

If I pull a SG of 1.030 ?
SG between 1.020-1.030 ?

SG less than 1.020...I'll be all smiles!!!

I've since moved the primary to another location and have warmed it up to 70F.

I'm closing in on 4 weeks in primary and want a plan of attack if this thing still hasn't moved...

If I pull a SG of 1.030 ?
SG between 1.020-1.030 ?

SG less than 1.020...I'll be all smiles!!!

When did you move it? I would give it 72 hours, take another grav reading, if it's dropped, you're starting the downward move and just need more patience...if ti's still locked in at 1.030...add Us-05

I moved it Sunday...so tomorrow should be around 72 hours.

If I do need to repitch...what process should I follow? Just rehydrate and pour it in? Will there be enough oxygen in the solution for the yeast to breathe?

I've tried to search, but can't seem to find the answers...

I moved it Sunday...so tomorrow should be around 72 hours.

If I do need to repitch...what process should I follow? Just rehydrate and pour it in? Will there be enough oxygen in the solution for the yeast to breathe?

I've tried to search, but can't seem to find the answers...

You definitely don't want to add more oxygen...Personally all I would do would be open the packet and sprinkle onto the beer. The yeast will take care of the rest.

Thanks for your help man.

Hopefully I won't have to take any action, and can just rack to secondary for further aging... :tank:

Just took a SG reading...1.030...damn!

Looks like I'll be making a trip to the LHBS...

I pitched US-05 last week at 70F, and slowly let the temp rise up to 74F throughout the weekend.

I haven't noticed any airlock activity, which leads me to believe that not much is going on in the bucket.

What's next? It's been sitting on this cake for 5 weeks...

I went to the local brewery and talked to the brewmaster a little bit. He mentioned that they use champagne yeast to bottle condition their bigger beers, because it works well in low oxygen/high alcohol environments...should I think about pitching yet ANOTHER yeast at this thing?

Notty, US-05, Champagne?

This beer is trying to break my will...

Back