Possible stuck fermentation????? Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitecrw

Reaction score
Hello all. My son and I are new to brewing and this past sunday, two days ago, we brewed a Sweetwater IPA clone. We hit all our times and temperatures but our OG after sparging (yes my son wanted to do all grain, straight to the deep end) was low at 1.041 vs 1.061 as called for in the recipe.

We used a 1L yeast starter with Wyeast 1056. Fermentation started within six hours and was bubbling vigourously yeasterday. CO2 bubbles tapered off today and we are getting about one bubble per minute, so something is still going on. Room temperature is at about 65* this evening and bucket temperature reads 70*, this is a few degrees warmer than the recipe calls for, 66* for 14 days. The fermentation bucket is in the wash room as it is the coolest in the house but the temps can reach a room temperature of 70* during the day.

My question is this normal for fermentation to taper off this quickly or are we on the way to a stuck fermentation. I have not measured the SG as I do not want to open the bucket yet.

Thanks in advance any adive or insight will be greatly appreciated.

This is totally normal. The beer is probably close to final gravity, but it could still take several days for the yeast to chew through the last few gravity points. You really never know for sure without taking a gravity reading, but it would be a good idea to wait a few days at the minimum.

Did you take a gravity reading after boiling? Gravity increases during the boil since it is typical for 1-1.5 gallons of water to evaporate while the sugars are left behind.

Thanks for the reply and the comforting words. No, we did not take a gravity reading after boiling. My sons batch is only 3 gallons and I do not want to waste any more beer than I absolutely had to. I will do that in the future though as we had so much fun doing this together we are already looking into upgrading for size and quality. Thanks.

Back