Possible Starter Contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodrigoEick

Reaction score
Hi,

I was making a starter and about to open the liquid yeast to pitch on it. On the moment I open the vial lid it started to foam and liquid going out.
By instinct, I moved the vial so the liquid going out can go inside the starter and don't get wasted...
I know, it was stupid, but this is my second starter and I didn't think at the time.
Some of lquid yeast went from the unsanitized vial and my unsanitized hand straight into the starter wort.
When I realized what I was doing it was already late, so I finished pitching and put it on the stir plate.

My question. How can I know if the starter got infected after 2 days?

I was planing to step it up coz I live in China and the vial of WLP500 I got was way off the expiration date.

Please help!

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about it. If you see the starter start to ferment (it foams when you shake it) I would consider it fine. AS long as the vial wasn't dropped in a pile of dirt and you just didn't finish farming or changing your car's oil without washing your hands, I can't fathom some yeast touching an unsanitized vial or unsanitized hand is going to ruin your starter.

You will not be able to notice an infection in only two days. It will take, perhaps up to a week, before there are visual signs of an infection. The best course will be to continue with your step up plans for the starter. The small amount of alcohol produced in a starter wort, though low, will be the best protection from an infection, if the yeast did get contaminated.

The White Labs vials are prone to spewing their contents if they are warmed before opening. CO2 in the vial is the force behind the contents being expelled. It is best to sanitize the vial while cold, then slightly crack the seal while the yeast warms to room temperature to release the pressure.

You will not be able to notice an infection in only two days. It will take, perhaps up to a week, before there are visual signs of an infection. The best course will be to continue with your step up plans for the starter. The small amount of alcohol produced in a starter wort, though low, will be the best protection from an infection, if the yeast did get contaminated.

The White Labs vials are prone to spewing their contents if they are warmed before opening. CO2 in the vial is the force behind the contents being expelled. It is best to sanitize the vial while cold, then slightly crack the seal while the yeast warms to room temperature to release the pressure.

Thank u. I will remember this next time.

Back