Possible Orange IPA???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medevac_Chief

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to brewing, and I was wondering if I could get some guidence from everyone on a good IPA recipe around 7-8.5% ABV that would work well with some orange zest. And guidence on when to add the orange zest..Thanks Everyone:mug:

THis is the best DIPA I've done. For orange zest you could either go near the end of the boil, directly in the secondary, or as a tea/tincture to taste at bottling. You might want to back down on the hopping a bit in that recipe to let the orange come through. Good luck

Given that a lot of the standard hops used for an American IPA tend to be on the citrusy side of flavors, I think just about any American IPA that uses cascade, centennial, citra, or amarillo hops would work well with some orange zest. I suppose the orange itself has the potential to be lost amid all the hops, but I think it could make the citrus flavor/aroma "pop". I did a great wheat beer with Amarillo hops and orange zest during the last 5 minutes of the boil and it was fantastic. For 5 gallons of an IPA, I'd go with something on the order of 1-2oz of freshly grated orange zest at the end of the boil. Good luck!

Thanks guys, for the advice and the warning on the cutting down the hoppiness. Im in the Army and stationed in Germany right now..Any guidence on different hops?

If you have a list of the hops and their properties go with the fruity/citrusy ones. JLem pretty much set you up on the super dope fruity hops to use though. Word to mother.

Thanks guys, for the advice and the warning on the cutting down the hoppiness. Im in the Army and stationed in Germany right now..Any guidence on different hops?

Citra is one most people go with to bring out that orange citrus flavor. Amarillo and Centennial are good citrusy hops. Saaz is something you'll easily find over there and will give you a floral/citrusy character.

summit hops also have some orange/tangerine qualities when used late

Latest posts

Back