Possible lacto cross-contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonezus

Reaction score
Hello, long time reader, first time poster.

I've been reading Tonsmeire's book, American Sour Beers (great book!). And have brewed two sour beers. A Flander's Red and a blonde, both with Roeselaire blend from Wyeast (1st and 2nd generation respectively).

However, my latest beer I brewed is a oak porter , planning to add some vanilla later, and I popped the bucket lid today to take a gravity sample and saw this. The oak cubes with yeast attatched to it don't scare me, it's the bubbles that to me look like the results from Lactobacillus.

So yes, this is another "is it infected?" Thread. The beer in question has been fermenting for 2 weeks. Is that soon enough for lacto to start already? The gravity reading was 1.018 and tasted very clean. Thoughts?

image.jpg

Those bubbles look pretty clean to me. Just CO2 bubbling up and good head retention is my vote.

Those bubbles do look a little weird but, nothing I haven't seen in my "clean" beers before. I agree with the other, looks good.

You are oaking so it still has some aging to do. Take a gravity sample in a few weeks. Not much you can do until then anyway. I say let 'er ride.

You could take a small sample out, throw it in a sanitized container (with airlock), and raise that temp to about 100. Basically force fermenting the lacto if there is any. You should notice souring much faster that way. Just a thought but, I think it looks fine.

Back