Possible Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenTooth

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I brewed an apricot blonde for my girlfriend about 2 weeks ago, it fermented quickly in about 2 days at around 70F. I pitched the yeast at 80, the same temp as the starter, so I dont think I stressed the yeast too much.

Anyway it was fine when I racked it out of the primary into the secondary, but after about 3-4 days in secondary it formed a thin, clearish film that broke up into white clumps when I ran a stirring spoon through it. It also smells EXACTLY like hobby cement (the kind you get with car model kits and stuff). I tried racking it out from under the film into a new sanitized carboy but it just reformed in this as well.

I was careful with sanitation but I definitely could have gotten a bug in there somewhere. The beer still tastes ok but I'm worried about getting someone sick if I decide to not toss it. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it an infection?

Thanks for the help!

As far as I know, there isn't any bug out there that can exist in wort/fermented brew that can harm a person. How do you think you 'definitely could have gotten a bug...'? That leads me to believe you didn't sanitize properly? If it tastes ok now, see how it is in a few weeks. I bet you'll be fine. If it is infected, a sour apricot will taste good anyways; just have to age it longer.

Back