Possible infection w/ photos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDL

Reaction score
This is northern brewers pumpkin ale after 2 weeks in primary. Fermented pretty hard for 4 days and then settled but this stayed on top. Was between 69-71 for entire time. Normal or not never had a beer do this but only my 7th all grain.

Thanks in Advance, Jeff

image-482181310.jpg

image-828187096.jpg

How does it smell? Are these bubbles that just never went away or have developed after fermentation seemed to he finished?

looks totally normal, like yeast rafts. don't sweat it. Give it a taste right before you bottle it.

1st picture definitely looks infected to me. Big waxy bubbles.

But of course I'm guessing. Taste it, use your nose, and definitely watch it with a hydrometer for another week before you bottle. If you keg, getting it into the kegs and cold is a good idea.

Smells fine and tasted fine. Got down to 1.014 from 1.058. Bubbles went away when I stuck thief in and nothing stuck to side.

I also used safale us-05 for reference.

Think I will let it sit on the cake for one more week to finish cleaning up.

Anyone see letting it sit on it another week or 2 before kegging?

Thanks for the posts,
Jeff

Also sounds familiar with US05. As soon as you pull the airlock and start racking those bubbles go away.

Smells fine and tasted fine. Got down to 1.014 from 1.058. Bubbles went away when I stuck thief in and nothing stuck to side.

I also used safale us-05 for reference.

Think I will let it sit on the cake for one more week to finish cleaning up.

Anyone see letting it sit on it another week or 2 before kegging?

Thanks for the posts,
Jeff

Nothing wrong with that. Time will clear your beer.

Back