Possible infection, photo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman13

Reaction score
This was my first partial mash, the Midnight Beatdown Wheaten Porter kit from NB. Primary went great, I hit the gravity numbers on the head (1.061 OG, 1.015 FG).

It's been in secondary for 6 days.

A few small (1 cm) circular white spots have appeared on the top of the beer inside the carboy. Sorry for the quality of the picture, iPhone 4S camera in an unlit closet. The distinctive white spots aren't reflections on the glass. Those are the supposed bacterial colonies, perhaps... What do you think? They definitely aren't wort proteins. They look organic and are newly formed, like perfectly circular little bacteria colonies, white in color but a darker brownish/orange in the small center of each circle.

I don't care so much about determining where I went wrong in my sanitation process, because I know I was less meticulous on this batch.

My question is, what would you guys do from here? Is there a method to precisely siphon or scoop off those "colonies"? Keep in mind this is a glass carboy. Or maybe I should bottle it tomorrow (7 days in secondary) - rack to bottling bucket and hopefully avoid siphoning off any of the bacteria. I'd rather suffer less time in secondary than the infection spreading.

Or am I crazy, and should just relax and have a home brew?

Photo is attached.

white_spots.jpg

They are probably just bubbles... wait it out. I wouldn't bottle, a closet full of glass bombs...

Back