Possible Idea for Ferm Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeering

Reaction score
So saw this thread and instantly had an idea based on the comments (and added my own to the thread). And as Im moving from a house back to an apartment might have to store my chest freezer ferm chamber and this might be useful.

Here is my Idea:

Use a Peltier attached to a conductive material that wraps around the fermentor. Then have a dual stage temp controller that controls the peltier and it would be hooked to a circuit that controls the direction of the current. Put heat sink on the peltier and you could have a cooler/heater that would get you 30 degrees either above or below ambient temp

Just get a thick piece of aluminum, large enough to cover the base of your fermentor, attach two peltiers to it on the underside and let the carboy sit on there. The conductive material around it is good too but if it's metal, it will only have a life expectancy from flexing it so much each time you put it on or take it off. The aluminum plate would last you and the fermentor would just sit on it. This what I was thinking of doing myself and keeping it in an insulated box.

Another option would be to get one of these electric coolers: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001MQ7EK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 pull off the top and build it into an insulated fermentation chamber. You can also find coolers that do both cooling and heating. You can build the fermentation chamber to be just big enough to hold the carboy / bucket so it wouldn't take that much room.

EDIT: You would need the wall adapter for the coolers as well: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012BL8LG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
This will work nicely, just keep in mind the efficiency of Peltier modules is ~10-20%. The benefit of course is that Peltier modules can achieve much finer control over both cooling and heating from the same unit as compared to refrigeration. Problem is finding a good way to conduct heat through to your fermenter. There aren't very many materials which fall under the categories of high heat conduction and flexible... Personally, I've picked up a modular cooling water pelt/pump combo unit from an Industrial surplus store. It has a nice SS heat exchanger that already has pelt's sandwiched in and a 24V DC pump on the heat controlled side. I have a nice unused PC power supply laying around which I plan on powering the system. I am going to coil the temp controlled output around the fermenter, and on the other loop I plan on hooking up a PC watercooling pump and radiator. I then set the whole unit in my fermentation chest freezer. The chest freezer can then hold a steady temp at where i want to hold the ferment too. The chiller unit can then perform fine adjustment feedback control to keep the fermentation temp on target. Since the pelt unit is exchanging heat directly with chilled air at the desired temperature it is sitting at its minimum deltaT and can put out maximum heat transfer with its best efficiency.

I like the idea of just having a plate that the fermenter sits on. I think doing something like that with the heatsinks underneath (kinda as supports) and using something like the Cool Brewing Fermentation Chamber (a flexible cooler) as insulation would give a nice solution. Would only need a current switching circuit and a temp controller to turn it on and off

I like the idea of just having a plate that the fermenter sits on. I think doing something like that with the heatsinks underneath (kinda as supports) and using something like the Cool Brewing Fermentation Chamber (a flexible cooler) as insulation would give a nice solution. Would only need a current switching circuit and a temp controller to turn it on and off

Yup, the plate will give it that "cold basement floor" effect. the only issue really is keeping the heatsink on the "hot side" out of the chamber otherwise you'll be cooling and heating at the same time, not very efficient.

As for the Cool Brewing solution, you just saved me for building a foam fermentation chamber that would be in the way in the basement, I just ordered it and love the idea of being able to fold it up and put it away. Have you used this before or has anyone else used it?

Thanks!

I havent but the concept is pretty simple, the only real complaint Ive seen anyone have, is with carboys the top kinda pulls on the airlock so some are afraid of it dislodging the airlock, but havent heard of a problem.

Im looking to get one or two when I move from my house (currently have a giant chest freezer so not required)

As for the heat sinks, will be as easy as cutting the bag (always sad to cut something new) and giving them holes to punch through

Another item you may want to add in there is a small fan to circulate the cool air around. Have it turn on only when the peltiers kick in.

Back