Possible HLT or MLT cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foosinho

Reaction score
I found this Igloo brand cooler at a local grocery chain. 48 quart, square, with no built in drain. $32.

IMG_20110608_181845.jpg

I need a cooler for our first cookout on Friday at our new house anyway, so... could I convert this into a HLT or MLT for a future all-grain system? Bobby_M's thread on MLT size indicates that this would be big enough for most 10g batches I might want to do, and the really heavy beers could be done in 5g batches.

The narrow, square size seems ideal; deeper grain bed, easy to build a manifold for, but... I'm a little concerned about being able to drain easily and effectively given the lack of a built-in drain. I think I could put a center drain in, and build a manifold to get right down against the bottom...

I guess since I've only brewed extract beers to date, I'm looking for validation from experienced all-grain brewers since I'm deviating from the "standard" coolers used for HLTs and MLTs. :) I figured if I'm overlooking anything you guys would be able to point it out.

If you use a hole saw and go slow, you could drill the hole for the drain. Buy your parts first, then use the parts to make sure ou have the right size hole saw.

Hmm. My "super-clever" idea of taking a five-way copper slip fitting and brazing it to a stainless steel washer and dropping it thru a hole in the middle of the bottom seems to be hitting a snag; I don't think anybody makes a 5 way copper slip fitting. Too bad, because that would have been about as low-profile as I could get. I suppose I could do the same thing with a T fitting, and use some additional T fittings inside to get pretty close to the same thing.

Man, Bobby_M is an all-star: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/3-weldless-kettle-bulkhead-166778/

Well, whatever. I can work out the manifold details later. And if I can't, I'll just use this one as an HLT. Gonna buy it tonight, unless someone can talk me out of it. Thanks.

Maybe its just the angle but the sides look pretty thin. Before you tear it apart I would do some temp tests and see how well it holds temp.

Your photo shows one, so you should be good to go :) Keep us posted!

-Joe
Damn, eagle eye - you're right. Rock on! Definitely buying it, tho it may be a while until it's converted into a HLT. I still have to finish wiring my eKeggle, and other than gutting an old mini-fridge I've made zero progress on a fermentation chamber. (Basement != repeatability.)

I'll definitely document what I do for the next guy who comes along to learn from.

Thanks guys.

I have been using the rubbermaid cooler from Home Depot for years now.
Normally we do 10 gallon batches and have not had any issues with holding up to 28 lbs of grain. There is a hole already there when you change out the plastic valve. This cooler holds the heat during mashing. Even though the price says $39.96 I picked up the last one for $29.95 at the store.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202260809/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
By the way I live down the street from the Igloo factory and have not seen a better price Igloo vs Rubbermaid.

I still think the sides look pretty thin. I would do some temp tests before drilling it.
I'm planning on doing a RIMS system in the long run anyway, so I'm not super-concerned if it leaks a little heat.

I did notice Igloo makes a 70 quart "MaxCold" cooler in the same form factor. It looks to have beefier insulation and would allow high-gravity 10 gallon batches. And the wheels make a nice built-in hinge for a tip-dump cleaning routine. If I have problems with this 48qt model at least I know I have an upgrade path. :)

Back