Possible foreign yeast infection on wine during sur lie aging - what steps are recommended?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steffeeh

Reaction score
First and foremost, I've caught it early, so it's not too late. I did a taste test and found no off flavours either.

My plum wine has been aging on the lees for 3 weeks. I can see a few small strains stuck to the sides of the neck of the carboy at 1.5-2cm length, thin as a hair. This can either be yeast that has previously been dormant and now activated post fermentation due to residual yeast nutrients (had issues with nutrient deficiency the latter half of primary). Or it's foreign yeast from other brews that may have gotten in during batonnage as I don't have much space, or just airborne yeast.

Anyway, I understand I need to add some extra sulphites as well as potassium sorbate, but can I add potassium sorbate during lees aging, or will the lees absorb it before it reaches the infection yeast? Will I need to rack off the lees and discard it first? Will there be any potential off flavours from adding potassium sorbate this early? The wine will age for another 9 months or so, with 2-3 months on the lees initially planned.

Gravity: At or below 0.996
pH: 3.45-3.5
SO2: Haven't checked the current value yet, but I sulphited up to 23ppm at the start of sur lie aging.
ABV: ~12.5%

Back