Possible Flat Beer/co2 leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soccerbigt

Reaction score
I made a post earlier regarding i had a co2 leak and i ran out of co2 while force carbing. I came to the conclusion that one of my cornies has a leak in it somewhere.. im thinking the out post. So right now that one keg is not pressurized and hasnt been for a day and a half. I am wondering if there is any way to salvage the beer or is it useless?

Is it ok to open up the keg and try to switch o rings or anything like that or will it ruin the beer? This is my first time kegging and it doesn't appear to be working out so good haha.
Any help would be awesome.
thanks so much in advance.

The beer is fine. The system is not. Track down the leak (try some soapy water over all the connections), fix it, then have a go at carbing again.

think of the system as two separate systems, the tank, reg, lines disconnects etc and then the keg.

Do you turn on the gas, turn it off and see a pressure drop in the regulator?

If not, do you connect the gas to the keg and hear anything leaking? Test your connection with star san or soapy water. Any bubbles? What about around the pressure valve and the lid? Did you lube the o-rings?

I had a leak and i could hear it but it wasn't until i got a lot of star san on the posts that i realized i had cut an o-ring on the in post and the gas was leaking out that seal.

Im in the process of refilling my co2 tank so is there anythign i can do in the meantime to try and find the leak.. I am almost 100% sure its coming from the outpost... because when i was carrying the keg from downstairs to the kegerator drops of beer were leaking out from the outpost, but i figured soon as i hook it up to the quick connect and the lines then that would stop the leaking..

Do you think this is where my problem is??

Thanks everyone once again for your help...

were they leaking from the post or the opening on the post?

If it's the opening then it's probably the poppet, in my opinion. If it's coming from the post then it might be the seal around the dip tube. Either way, make sure to use keg lube, that will help with the seal.

my bet is the poppet. Make sure nothing is clogging it, like hops or soda residue. I had one keg that was clogged with residue and when i finally got it off the bottom of the poppet came apart.

Back