Possible Burnt Batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgster

Reaction score
I just brewed my 10th batch on my eBIAB setup (5500W ulwd element / recirc) and about halfway through the boil i could smell a burnt aroma in the air. When my wife came home she said it smelled like tobacco.

The boil just finished and i can definitely taste a burnt coffee flavor. The recipe is a black IPA with .5 lbs carafa III, .25 lbs chocolate malt and 0.5 lbs midnight wheat (6 gal batch at 8.1% estimated ABV)

Is the burnt flavor really from the roast malts, or is it possible i somehow scorched the batch?

I'm going to pitch the yeast anyway but i'm really not sure on the taste.

Not really familiar with ebiab systems, but can it have something to do with the heating element? As far as the taste, .5lbs also seems like a lot of carafa iii to use especially if it was carafa iii and not carafa special.

It was carafa III special, but I do think it was the element but I'm not sure why. I cleaned the element last time and scrubbed all the grime off of it. I was eating some auction with the brew bag and I'm thinking the element might have overheated.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406692380.741098.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406692430.984115.jpg

Definitely some scorching on the element. This was spotless when I started to brew.

Yeah, that looks kind of rough. How did the bag look?

The bag looked fine but it sits on a false bottom so it doesn't actually come into contact with the element.

What is the category for burnt beer in competitions :cross:

I did the same thing. On my system the recirculation actually created a air space under my false bottom. I noticed my mash level rising and killed the pump. As the level went back down air bubbles came up the side of the bag. Didn't think much of it at the time. Didn't smell scorched but the element looked like yours. Wort even tasted ok. After ferment it tasted like badly burnt toast. I had to dump it. Not sure if this is your case but just wanted to throw it out there. I ended up throttling the pump way back from them on. Good luck.

I did the same thing. On my system the recirculation actually created a air space under my false bottom. I noticed my mash level rising and killed the pump. As the level went back down air bubbles came up the side of the bag. Didn't think much of it at the time. Didn't smell scorched but the element looked like yours. Wort even tasted ok. After ferment it tasted like badly burnt toast. I had to dump it. Not sure if this is your case but just wanted to throw it out there. I ended up throttling the pump way back from them on. Good luck.

Thats basically what happened to me. I had the pump throttled back but the mesh bag is very fine and i was bagging up my hop additions and it must have created an issue. I normally stir the mash quite frequently.

Did you ever have this issue since? Should i invest in a coarser bag maybe?

Might be the midnight wheat? I know a couple guys who BIAB with electric, but for any beers with wheat they will fire up a propane burner for this very reason.

Might be the midnight wheat? I know a couple guys who BIAB with electric, but for any beers with wheat they will fire up a propane burner for this very reason.

Really? I had no idea!

Well lesson learned i guess

I haven't had the issue since. I put on a sight glass so I can see if there's too much suction below. It will suck the sight glass all the way down if I don't watch. I just throttle it to make sure the liquid stays higher than the false bottom and it's not an issue. I did take a wire wheel on a grinder to get the scorched stuff off my element. Hope that helps

e

I have a spare sight glass laying around I will install it in the pot and keep an eye on it.

Back