Possible Broken Gauge, Recomendations Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldManBrew

Reaction score
Ok, I want to appologize for my kegging newbness, but I am new to the equipment and believe I may have broken a gauge on my regulator.

I get the kegging kit...very excited opened the box to find a few missing pieces. Called company they will ship out missing pieces. Happiness returns. So, being my birthday, I opened up my present, and hooked the regulator onto my new co2 tank, and while I'm trying to take a picture of my new equipment my co2 tank/regulator falls over right on the gauge that says how much co2 is left. Argh. The needle is just dangling at the 6 o clock position. I take the cover off and put it back on the little nub it supposedly rests on (approx 8 o clock position).

So what do you all think?
How can I test if it is functioning?
I'd rather not "test" it on my first batch of beer going into the keg.

Awaiting your answers patiently.
Thanks..

Yooper said:
I answered this already, but you deleted the thread? :confused:

Wow you were quick Yooper. Sorry about that after I posted it I noticed that I didn't like the title of the thread so I cut and pasted the body into this newly named thread. I'm sorry I really respect hour advice.

Are you talking about the CO2 gauge that measures the output, or the one that tells you what's left in the tank? Since it sounds like its the one measuring what's left in the tank, don't worry about it, its pretty useless. All it can measure is the pressure inside the CO2 tank, which since CO2 is a liquid in the tank all it measures is the air pressure of CO2. This stays consistent throughout the life of the tank until there's no more liquid left, at which point you pretty quickly figure out the tank is empty since you can't pull a pint anymore :). The only gauge that's important is the one telling you how much psi you're outputting into your beer.

excellent thank you. If this gauge is indeed broken, would it cause a leak?

It shouldn't. I think they even sell plugs for the gauge holes if you really wanted one. If it did leak, you'll be able to hear it if you put it on your tank and turn up the psi a little.

I got a great tip pm'ed to me. I'm going to spray some soapy water on it to see if there is any leaks. Will know for sure. Thanks guys

Back