Poshwieser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air Pirate

Reaction score
So i got this bottle of Budweiser Brewmaster Private Select a few days ago. it was only 11 bucks for a 42 oz. so i dont think im losing too much here.

They are calling it a dopplebock, a style i dont have a great deal of familarity with.

i know its a bit gimicky but im hoping its more than just a fo' ty with a ribbon on it.

bulletins as events warrent.

I had some a couple weeks ago. It's really not bad! That's saying something for me because I live in A-B land and have seriously HATED everything I've ever tried from their brewery. It has been a decade since I last had a Bud/BudLite - I'd rather drink water...

Anyway, this beer really does have complexity and, what do you know, you can actually tell there are some hops in it.

FYI, these are in big flip-top bottles that can be re-used for homebrew. My local Sam's Club is closing them out for just under $5 each. I bought a couple, but haven't had a chance to crack one open with friends - it is in the neighborhood of 8.5%abv after all.

ok, im back

first impressions: no noticeable hop aroma. it poured a dark amber color. not much head retention. syrupy malt/molasses/corn/rice flavor. roasty toffee finish (the best part).

second impressions: *g* not so great.

third impressions: <pours beer down sink> any other time i would consider this a sin but i just couldnt bring myself to drink a full glass even. *blegh*

it honestly made me feel slightly nauseous. i kept the rest of it for the roomies (dedicated BMC guys (when they do drink at all)).

at least it wasnt a total loss, i get a pretty cool bottle for the RIS ive got coming along.

I had posted above saying this beer wasn't bad.

I tasted a 3oz sample at a friend's house, several beers into a brewing day. I think my judgment may have been clouded :drunk:

This evening I opened one of the bottles I had purchased for $5. When the top popped I immediately got that smell I identify with the crappy Bud I hate. I poured a couple glasses. It is a nice amber color. The head poured thick but quickly dissipated to just a few bubbles around the edge. The aroma is sweet - not like Cartman's 'sweet', but on the verge of cloying. There's definitely malt but my nose makes me think a lot of the sugars come from corn. There is very little bitterness in the aroma and it's also nearly absent in the taste. It's really too sweet.... or maybe I just need to have a few beers first to deaden my palate.

SWMBO's glass went down the drain and she switched to the Summit Extra Pale Ale. I let my glass warm up a bit to see if it brought out any additional flavors or aromas, but there was no improvement to me. Off to the sink now...

Good thing it's in a bottle I can re-use - maybe for my Pliny clone!

Back