Porter Water Chem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdiddy84

Reaction score
I'm going to attempt a porter for the first time and I'm using beersmith for my water chemistry.

I want to recreate Dublin's water for my profile and want someone to check the additions that beersmith gave me. The chalk level seems really high.

oPiJkEq

I'm starting with distilled water.

I'm new to this so basically I entered 5.5 gallons of distilled water. Then entered 5.5 gallons of Dublin for the profile to match. My recipe is calling for 9.04 gallons of water to start so when I enter the water as an ingredient I enter 9.04 gallons of water. Is that right, or should I enter the 5.5G?

I'm having a total brain fart here.

I can't see the file- but throw away any ideas of chalk additions. It doesn't dissolve properly, among other reasons. If you have to add alkalinity, baking soda is a good choice.

Target a mash pH of 5.5 or so, and have a chloride level of 75-90 or so. Not much else to it, but if you're determined to have dublin water remember that you don't know if "dublin water" is what the breweries used for porters so you may want to do some research.

I can't see the file- but throw away any ideas of chalk additions. It doesn't dissolve properly, among other reasons. If you have to add alkalinity, baking soda is a good choice.

Target a mash pH of 5.5 or so, and have a chloride level of 75-90 or so. Not much else to it, but if you're determined to have dublin water remember that you don't know if "dublin water" is what the breweries used for porters so you may want to do some research.

Very valid point with what breweries use for their water profile. Not sure why the pic isn't coming through.

A Dublin water profile is not likely to be well suited for Porter brewing. Its likely too alkaline. I find that the London Chalk aquifer water quality is well suited for Porter brewing and that water was what made the London Porter great. There is an article in one of the Zymurgy magazine issues from several years ago that focused on London water. It should be very helpful in guiding the water quality used for Porter and for Bitter brewing (they are different waters). AHA members have access to all the old Zymurgy issues and this is a good reason to be a member.

Back