Porter recipie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loucurr

Brewing to please me 😎
Reaction score
I am cleaning out my grain closet and want to make a porter...this is what I have;

10lbs 2 row
1lb honey malt
15oz acidulated malt
6oz golden naked crushed oats
8oz victory
8.5oz Belgian aromatic
4oz special roast
8oz carastan
1lb crystal 120
10oz black malt
8.5oz black prinz
1lb pale chocolate
9.5oz chocolate
1lb English roasted

Using what I have in my closet...does anyone have any recipe suggestions for a robust porter?

If I was in your position I'd look over all the clone recipes of my favorite porters and then build a recipe around what you have on hand using the clone recipes as a rough model. One of my favorite aspects of this hobby is creating new things and experimenting.

I have, more than a few times, simply taken what I have on hand and start throwing it in the pot (so to speak) and take notes as I go simply to keep a record in case I love how it turns out. Brewing can be like jazz.

You can try something like this... It should give you about a 6% middle of the road Porter.

10# 2-Row
1# Pale Chocolate
.5# C-120
.5# Carastan (C30)
.5# Victory
.25# Black Malt

If I was in your position I'd look over all the clone recipes of my favorite porters and then build a recipe around what you have on hand using the clone recipes as a rough model. One of my favorite aspects of this hobby is creating new things and experimenting.

I have, more than a few times, simply taken what I have on hand and start throwing it in the pot (so to speak) and take notes as I go simply to keep a record in case I love how it turns out. Brewing can be like jazz.

I like your thought process...how does this sound?

6lb 2 row
9.4oz chocolate malt
4oz crystal 120
4oz black prinz
12oz maple syrup
8oz brown sugar
1oz Columbus
1oz Mt Hood

Back