Porter Partial Mash Recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatschmaltez

Reaction score
I brewed this recipe today. Unfortunately I broke the thermometer in it during the cold break (yeah cool) and had to can it. However, I did get a chance to taste my wort (prior to boil). It tasted awesome, but I would have liked slightly more roast to it. I'm trying to figure out how to tweak my recipe to get more of that flavor. You guys got any suggestions?

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 40.00 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 45.71 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.71 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.71 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.86 %

0.75 oz Horizon [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 25.9 IBU
0.75 oz Williamette [4.70 %] (40 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.70 %] (20 min) Hops 4.1 IBU

1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

+1 vanilla bean in the secondary fermenter (never got to this)

I used the partial mash method Deathbrewer posted forever ago... sick by the way. Ended up getting awesome efficiency, close to 80% with 1.038 after my mash. I used 8 qt for my mash, then 8 qt for my sparge. Original gravity was around 1.060... with potential of thermometer glass shards. Any suggestions on how to enhance the roasty flavor?

The roast might come through better after it ferments and carbs up. I wouldn't worry too much about tweaking your recipe until you try the final product.

For me, I think of a pronounced roastiness coming out in a stout, not a porter. But if need be, you could add a little roasted barley to get what you're looking for. Or perhaps some "light roasted barley" if you're looking for a lighter flavor.

Latest posts

Back