Porter in Secondary for over 8 months!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesnj

Reaction score
well I moved it to secondary sometime around march (lost the notes i kept) then moved it from NC to NJ and its since been sitting in the kitchen mostly undisturbed....i changed and sanitized the airlock a couple of weeks ago but that's about all i've done....i've been pretty lazy lately and just havent gotten around to bottling...

well tomorrow i was planning on sanitizing all the bottles i've been collecting the past several months and actually bottling this batch and getting back into the hobby again!

is there anything special i should do after letting it sit for such a long period?

Shouldn't be any issues assuming the beer is free of contaminants. One potential problem is that the yeast may take FOREVER to wake up and carbonate the bottles. Might consider adding a 1/4 pack of hydrated dry yeast to the bottling bucket about the same time you add the priming sugar.

That's all I can think of.

If you have any concerns with the beer you can send it to me and I will make sure it is properly disposed of.

If you kept it sealed all the time (or for most of the time), it should be fine. If you can take a sample and taste it ...... if it's not vinegar, it's good.

At 8 months there should still be plenty of yeast, but it may take a little longer to carb. Also it will have less dissolved CO2, so you might want to up the priming sugar by about 10% to compensate.

Back