Ported better bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefencore

Reaction score
Is anyone out there using a Ported BB to ferment/ bottle?
How does it do during fermentation? Should it be used only for secondary? Is cleaning/sanitation a problem? Do you disassemble it each time? I also noticed in the specs that the hi flow valve is 1/2" OD, but cam fit a variety of sizes.

I'm looking to add a third carboy ( I have two 6-gal BBs) and an easier way to bottle. I found a great deal on Midwest supplies for the set and I'm very interested.

I'm wary of ported bottles/buckets. How are you supposed to clean/sanitize the inside of the valve when there's beer inside the bucket/bottle? I'd rather rack out the top with a sanitized racking cane. My .02.

Soak in OxyClean for 24-36 hours. Removes everything. I've been using ported BB's (and the obscenely expensive spigots that fit in the ports) for a couple years now. Disassemble the spigots, soak them in OxyClean, then sanitize everything with StarSan as the wort is boiling. Always as primary (I never secondary).

No infections, no problems.

I have used these for a year or so. I soak in PBW overnight and once every few months (maybe) I disassemble the spigots and soak them. No infected beers so far. I wish they were a tad bigger but overall I think the 6 gallon BBs ported are the way to go.

FWIW when I do disassemble I find no crud or mold or anything. I just do it for peace of mind, I rather suspect you could go a year or two without.

But YMMV of course
Steve da sleeve

I'm wary of ported bottles/buckets. How are you supposed to clean/sanitize the inside of the valve when there's beer inside the bucket/bottle? I'd rather rack out the top with a sanitized racking cane. My .02.

He’s got a point. Do you bottle from these, and how do you sanitize the spout? Spray bottle?

And if you do bottle from these, how does the inner spout do? Get it all out?

I've never bought a ported BB or bucket because I'm always afraid the trub will be too high,

imperialtrub.jpg

Back