Portable cooler as fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like it has a fan, so it probably works by circulating the air over a Peltier plate style cooler/heater. Not sure I would ferment directly in it, too much chance for contamination with that fan (no way to effectively decontaminate it). It might make a fermentation chamber if you could fit a small fermenter into it.

We have a wine cooler that works via a similar system, and it will get down into the 50 °F (10 °C) range. However, I have no experience with the cooler type.

I think that have Peltier element (because can heat and cool) and that fan cool this element.

It's all about BTUs - how much the volume of fermenting beer creates vs how fast the Peltier can extract it (plus the lesser effects of ambient temperature vs thermal resistance of the cooler). Unfortunately the web page doesn't state the BTU capacity of the Peltier, and frankly having followed many attempts at using Peltiers as fermentor chillers I would not be optimistic. Such devices are generally "filled cold" so all the Peltier has to do is keep up with ambient effects...

Cheers!

Back