Portable BIAB Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgster

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice from experienced BIAB brewers.

I have a 15 Gal eHERMS setup for my main brewery but i just found out i may be moving away for 10 months, back for 2, then away for 10 again. Clearly my brewery will not be able to move with me and i don't want to give up on brewing so i'd like to build a somewhat portable eBIAB setup.

My initial desire was to build a system to do 5 gallon batches, but given the size of a pot i would need to accommodate all the grains i'm thinking that would be a 10 gallon pot which really wouldn't be portable at all.

I have never done BIAB before but it seems like it would be the way to go for portability. Since i have started doing all this research on BIAB i'm thinking I may switch over my 15 gal system.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

I've been doing BIAB for a little over a year. I started out with a turkey fryer (8.5 gallons) and switched to a 15 gallon kettle after a couple months. Big beers can be a little touch and go in the 10 gallon kettle, unless you hold back some of the water when mashing. Also, for 5 gallon batches, boil overs are pretty much a non-issue in a 15 gallon kettle.

The larger kettle may make it more of a challenge to maintain mash temps due to the air space left under the lid, but I do OK with a couple layers of reflectix and an old comforter. Hasn't been a problem for me.

I like to make the occasional 10 gallon batch too, so it's nice to have the extra space then.

I know you said you wanted portable, but the 15 gallon route seems so much easier to deal with on brew day...

Excellent, thanks for the replies and the links. I'm particularly interested in the 2.5 gallon setup but like i said i will also be switching my 15 gal system over as well.

Back