pop tops and twist offs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgfrede

Reaction score
just wondering if you can use a regular bottle capper and regular gold caps to cap twist off bottles without problems with sealing/exploding

I have no personal experience with this, but I've read it's a bad idea. I believe that the caps won't seal properly, which can allow co2 to escape and possibly blow off caps..

Do a search for "twist off" on the forum and you will find a lot of different answers, as well as recommendations on what works best. Not sure what you mean by "regular" but I'm guessing it's the handheld wing capper you're talking about ... the common wisdom seems to be that bench cappers work better than wing cappers.

I personally have never tried it, but I would think that if you had any problems, the problem would be poor sealing rather than exploding. If the bottles explode, your cap is good and something else is wrong. :cross:

I've done several batches using some twist-off bottles. However, I am now switching 100% to pop-off bottles. Here's why:

1) The wing-capper (I assume you have this) does not seem to like to crimp the caps onto the top of the bottles very well in my experience. I actually broke about four twist-off bottles from trying to get a good seal by crimping too hard.

2) Because the bottles broke if I crimped too hard, I made sure not to cap the other twist-offs quite so tightly. However, this meant that some of them had an imperfect seal. As a result, some of the bottles did not carbonate properly.

So, even though about 90% of my bottles ended up being fine (capped and properly carbonated), I was tired of running the risk of breaking bottles and not having a good seal. So I'm moving to all pop-off bottles now, and I highly recommend the same.

The only other thing to note, is that if you have a bench capper, those apparently work okay with twist-off bottles. That's what I've read on here anyway. But I preferred to stick to my wing capper and use pop-offs.

yeah... i got a wing capper... ive had to bottle my wine into beer bottles (thank you new glarus for the good times) and every1 i know always buy the twist off beers so im starting to run low... i might try a few in the twist offs just to see (at least i got a corker
now so i can save my beer bottles which always get tossed out by my friends)

Back