Pool filter fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monster Mash

Reaction score
One of my pool repair guys called and had another pool filter for me (trade for beer of course). So for a 12 pack I got this beauty...
There is a lot of scrubbing to do but for a free 30 gallon fermenter it's worth the work. I will do all of the cutting and have a friend do the welding (for beer of course)...

79F74491.jpg

F1A35D3E.jpg

I need another fermenter so after I clean it up it will look like this...

33EA34F7.jpg

I have an old single handle keg I'm cutting the top off of and the dip tube is already made...

4F6F156B.jpg

01927EE7.jpg

EB0084F5.jpg

Just curious. What do you want/need the dip tube for on a fermenter? Are you planning on racking through it? Any way, excellent idea and looks great!

501irishred said:
Just curious. What do you want/need the dip tube for on a fermenter? Are you planning on racking through it? Any way, excellent idea and looks great!

Thermometer would be my guess. That's an awesome idea, good for you man.

The dip tube allows me to transfer beer with Co2 like you would from corny to corny. it is basically a 30 gallon corny...

It is a Purex filter and yes it is stainless. They have 3 sizes, 20 gallon, 30 gallon and 40 gallon. The 20 gallon ones are the easiest to find but for the trouble sanke kegs are better.

Monster Mash said:
The dip tube allows me to transfer beer with Co2 like you would from corny to corny. it is basically a 30 gallon corny...

Thanks. Sounds really convenient, but do you not risk transferring a lot of trub with a fixed tube?

How does that hold pressure? Are you planning on welding the larger top onto the body leaving the corny lid as the only access point? or did I miss that.

How does that hold pressure? Are you planning on welding the larger top onto the body leaving the corny lid as the only access point? or did I miss that.

There is an o-ring that seals it up so it will hold pressure and the clamp hold the lid on.

One of my pool repair guys called and had another pool filter for me (trade for beer of course). So for a 12 pack I got this beauty...
There is a lot of scrubbing to do but for a free 30 gallon fermenter it's worth the work. I will do all of the cutting and have a friend do the welding (for beer of course)...

Very Cool: Now I need to make friends with a Pool-Guy...

Would they work as a kettle? Seems to me you could build your whole system with three of these and then start making fermenters to fill...

OPPS: I now have seen your other pictures and that answers that question.

Did you make the ring to seal the top?

They come with an o-ring to seal them but they are usually pretty nasty. New o-rings are about $11 at a pool supply store.

How do you control fermentation temps?

I have a glass door fridge that it fits perfect in. Here is a pic of transferring from primary to secondary.
Secondary1.jpg

Pretty nice. I actually have a friend that just recently got into the pool business. I'll have to have him keep an eye out for me.

It is a Purex filter and yes it is stainless. They have 3 sizes, 20 gallon, 30 gallon and 40 gallon. The 20 gallon ones are the easiest to find but for the trouble sanke kegs are better.

I'd assume you could do 15-17 gallons in a 20 gallon tank though - yes? I currently use sanke's, but I can only do 10-11 gallons in there because of the head space. If I can up my batches to 15 gallons (16 for a heavily dry hopped beer) and do it in one of these, I'd be set.

If you pool friend has access to some 20 gallon ones, I'd be interested in a couple. I'm driving distance to you in SoCal.

Since that was a pool filter what did you do to clean it? Your finished work looks awesome, so I assume you did a very thorough job... I'd worry about the gnarly chemicals that were previously in there. Any concerns? any off-taste in any of your beer?

Since that was a pool filter what did you do to clean it? Your finished work looks awesome, so I assume you did a very thorough job... I'd worry about the gnarly chemicals that were previously in there. Any concerns? any off-taste in any of your beer?

Since it's safe to gulp down a little pool water, I'm guessing they're ok to brew with.

I'd assume you could do 15-17 gallons in a 20 gallon tank though - yes? I currently use sanke's, but I can only do 10-11 gallons in there because of the head space. If I can up my batches to 15 gallons (16 for a heavily dry hopped beer) and do it in one of these, I'd be set.

If you pool friend has access to some 20 gallon ones, I'd be interested in a couple. I'm driving distance to you in SoCal.

If I come across any I will let you know, that size is pretty popular for pools and I know a couple brewers that use them.

Since they are stainless all they need is some Bar Keepers Friend and a good scrubby pad after some paint remover, they clean up pretty easily.

Haha. I will have to look for these

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back