Pomegranate juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
Anyone ever brew with pomegranate juice? I love those tasty little buggers and I'm thinking of making my next white with honey and pomegranate.

I'm about to put my american wheat into secondary tonight and I plan on adding some POM. I'll let ya know how it goes ;)

Subscribed.

Be sure to post your results cptnthompson.

I am splitting a 5 gallon batch of American Wheat into two 3 gallon carboys for secondary. One will have pomegranate juice, the other will have either peaches or apricots. I just brewed this beer on Sunday (7-18-10) so I won't be transferring to secondary for another week or two.

I did a Magic Hat #9 clone (on request). I don't really like the character that the apricot adds... I would do a fruit again, but not apricot.

I ended up using 1 quart of Pomegranate juice and one half quart of Pomegranate Blueberry juice. I'll post the end results in a week or two.

i used pomegranate paste in a wheat added to six bottles out of 50 at bottling time. I gotta say, all the pomegranate did was make it a bit more dry and tart, all the sugars got eaten by the yeast. It wasnt bad tasting, just not what I was expecting. I don't know how using POM would be any different. I'm interested to see how yours turns out.

So far, I've had the batch in secondary for 5 days now. it started to ferment again and is about done i think. I gave it a quick sample and was very very pleased! It started off sweet with a semi-strong Pomegranate flavor (but not overpowering) with a hint of blueberry to it. You can taste the hops ever so lightly at the back of the tounge. You can also get some of the peach hints from the us-05 yeast I used. So all in all, I'm happy about my results from the juice.

I made a mead a while back that had pomegranate juice in it.

I just threw it together and waited to see what would happen (added like four different fruit juices just to see what would happen)

It was freaking delicious. didn't have that weird tart aftertaste that the pomegranate usually has, actually tasted more like Manischewitz.

I'm currently drinking a Graff that I did with 3 gallons of apple juice and 1 gallon of pomegranite. Its pretty tasty stuff. The pom juice was expensive (@$14/gal) and doesn't ferment down as good as apple juice, but the added flavor is awesome.

Edit: If you go with store bought juice, make sure you get it without preservatives.

So far, I've had the batch in secondary for 5 days now. it started to ferment again and is about done i think. I gave it a quick sample and was very very pleased! It started off sweet with a semi-strong Pomegranate flavor (but not overpowering) with a hint of blueberry to it. You can taste the hops ever so lightly at the back of the tounge. You can also get some of the peach hints from the us-05 yeast I used. So all in all, I'm happy about my results from the juice.

Maybe I should re-evaluate my volumes. I was planning on using 0.5 gallons of POM mixed with 2.5 gallons of American Wheat in the secondary. You used a much lower ratio and say you've achieved positive results. The last thing I want is an overwhelming pomegranate beer. Maybe I should be thinking about 1 quart in the 2.5 gallon secondary......

Always go lower! If it's not as strong as you like, you can always add more at bottling. Also, my 1.5 quart was in a 5gal secondary ;)

I added 32oz of pom juice to my wort got down to 160 degrees and then feremented. I ended up with a very dry beer with little fruit flavor. It tasted fine, but not worth the expense. Next time I will add it to the secondary.

I did a batch of apfelwein with .5 to 1 gallon of pom juice in it. It wasn't as great as I was hoping it was going to be, but it was decent.

I just took a sample from each the pomegranate wheat and the apricot wheat. I plan on bottling them tomorrow. They taste very good. I am glad that I dialed back the pomegranate to beer ratio. For the apricot, I ended up going with a pound of ......... wait for it....... baby food! I could not find apricot preserves when I was at the store and I didn't feel like going to another one.

When I moved from the primary into the two 3 gallon secondarys and added the respective fruit, I did expect some additional fermentation as a result from the sugars in the fruit. Both showed signs in a slightly bubbling airlock. The pomegranate even experienced another krausen. Both fermented in the primary for two weeks and in the secondary for another two weeks.

As I said above, both samples tasted great. One odd aspect was the gravity readings. Both were off the scale. If I could estimate the reading it would have been 0.080 to 0.085. It was something. The sample tube was filled to the top and the hydrometer seemed as if it was wearing cement shoes. Because I took the readings before I took a taste, I did expect it to be dry. It was but not overly. I look forward to the carbed up, refrigerated version.

EDIT: please disregard the last paragraph as I discovered a hole in my hydrometer which caused it to flood and basically sink to the bottom. I am guilty of "Black Box" syndrome where I simply trust the results I am given without using common sense.....0.080....what was I thinking. I may as well have said I figured out cold fusion while I was at it. I feel shame.

So I have been able to sample these beers this week. I am delighted with them both.

The Pomegranate version has just a slight hint of the fruit. The next time I will increase the volume of juice.

The Apricot version is perfect. I wouldn't add any more. I have a hard time not drinking this beer in 3 big delicious gulps. It is a great thirst quenching wheat beer.

I don't know what the FG's were due to a broken hydrometer but both beers are on the dry side.

What color did you get out of the pomegranates? I'm looking for something that will give it a pinkish hue.

I used 0.75 quarts of pomegranate juice in 2.5 gallons of beer. I don't believe the juice altered the color of the beer at all. When I had both the pomegranate version and the apricot version poured at the same time, I was not able to differentiate between them. You could absolutely set them apart by their smell but not color.

I don't have enough experience yet to advise you on how to produce a beer with a shade of pink. I will say that increasing the amount of pomegranate juice is not a good idea. I will brew this again and I will most likely increase the juice to beer ratio, but not much. Maybe 1 quart per 2.5 gallon batch.

Back