Polish brew mimic idea...please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kush

Reaction score
Since I live down in Houston and the only place that I know to get Zywiec is up north either in Chicago (Polish capital for US) or Pittsburgh; I would like to brew a similar beer to be able to drink.

Here is a little info on the Polish beer Zywiec if you are unfamiliar with it:
It is a pale lager that pours clear and golden, nice thick, fluffy head. I plan on using an light lme along with some grains. I also plan to go with either Wyeast's pilsner urquell or czech pils.

I have done my research about certain ingredients that would mimic the taste of Zywiec but not make a clone. I have found that the best hops to use for this is Lublin Hops (polish grown saaz variety with an excellent, noble aroma. Spicy and slightly sweet.) and Marynka Hops (dual-purpose hop with a highly aromatic character described as cedary, rooty, and licorice-like) It is very hard to find these and if anyone knows where to go....please let me know. Otherwise, does anyone know what would be a great substitute for the Marynka Hops? Thanks.

Man, I know nothing about those hops or where to find, but you might want to check with DeFalco's to see if they have a line on them or some ideas for good substitutes. I would guess that Czech Saaz would be a good substitute for the Lublin. If you couldn't find that, you could go with U.S. Saaz or even Sterling. I'm stumped on a currently available substitute for Marynka. They sound fairly distinctive and unlike anything on this side of the pond.

You can also look into some pilsner extract to help out with that beer.

TL

^^ Yeah Scott is going to be in tomorrow and Ill send him a call to ask about the hops. Thanks.

kush said:
^^ Yeah Scott is going to be in tomorrow and Ill send him a call to ask about the hops. Thanks.
I can't offer much help with making it, but I am also a fan of Zywiec and was surprised to find some at a Korean Market in Phoenix. How it got there, I have no idea. But, they actually had 3-4 different kinds of Polish beers.

^^ Yeah that is where I went first b/c its on their catalog but they dont show up on their site.

Back