Pointers on where to get complete oxygenation kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tippsy-Turvy

Reaction score
Can anyone point me to where i can get good value oxygenator kits that include EVERYTHING (refillable tank, regulator, 0.5 micron stone & wand or tube)?

The online stores seem to sell everything but the tank (and reusable tanks at that). William's seems to sell regulators for reuseable welding tanks but not the tanks!

I found this on Amazon but the stone is 2micron:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E40UP66/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Edit: Sorry, I meant the online stores sell all the peripheral equipment designed for DISPOSABLE tanks except Williams but they don't sell the empty reuseable tanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll need to go to a welding supply store to fill the tank anyway (no one will ship a filled tank), so why not just buy one there?

I know you're looking for an "all in one" solution, but unless you buy someone's used setup on Craigslist you'll probably need to buy the tank separately. I don't know if Harbor Freight has locations in the Twilight Zone, but they've got a standard 02 tank for $90, and you can use the ubiquitous 20% Off coupon to bring that down to $72. Best price I found for a new O2 tank when I was making my 02 setup a few years back.

As far as the rest of the setup, I bought mine from Williams Brewing and have been very happy with it. Regardless of who you buy from I'd recommend getting a wand rather than a tube (makes stirring easy).

I'll agree with the others that it's going to be hard to find a tank and if you do, it'll ship empty (can't ship pressurized tanks). I got the one from Williams and just went to Lowe's and bought 2 of the red O2 tanks from the welding section. One tank will last several batches, depending.

I'll agree with the others that it's going to be hard to find a tank and if you do, it'll ship empty (can't ship pressurized tanks). I got the one from Williams and just went to Lowe's and bought 2 of the red O2 tanks from the welding section. One tank will last several batches, depending.

If done right, it'll last a lot more than several batches. I got close to 40 from my first bottle.

Opinions differ, but I'm a fan of full-sized O2 tanks and the higher quality regulators that go with them for a couple of reasons. First you have precise control over the flow rate of 02, ensuring consistency between brews and allowing you to play with that variable if you want. Second, I read a number of stories about those little regulators leaking, though it doesn't happen to everyone. And third, once you've got a full-sized 02 tank you're set for many, many years of brewing, instead of having to go back to Lowes every so often to buy a new disposable tank for $10.

That said, the full-sized route costs ~$100 more up front ($72 for the tank, $20 for a fill, and the nicer regulator is ~$10 more than the little one for the disposable tanks). Depending on how frequently you have to buy disposable O2 tanks, it could take many years for the costs to equalize.

Opinions differ, but I'm a fan of full-sized O2 tanks and the higher quality regulators that go with them for a couple of reasons. First you have precise control over the flow rate of 02, ensuring consistency between brews and allowing you to play with that variable if you want. Second, I read a number of stories about those little regulators leaking, though it doesn't happen to everyone. And third, once you've got a full-sized 02 tank you're set for many, many years of brewing, instead of having to go back to Lowes every so often to buy a new disposable tank for $10.

That said, the full-sized route costs $75-$100 more in up front ($72 for the tank $20 for a fill, and the nicer regulator is ~$10 more than the little one for the disposable tanks). Depending on how frequently you have to buy disposable O2 tanks, it could take many years for the costs to equalize.

I totally agree with all this. I would love to steal one of our 5# green medical O2 bottles from work. I would much rather have the big guy than all the little red ones, but I just pick them up when I'm in the store and I always have a backup.

I had one of the bottles leak on me so it went empty in between batches. I now remove the regulator when I'm done with it (which is a PITA, especially since I can't seem to remember to mark the empties and store full and empties on the same shelf.)

Curious if you guys have really seen a noticeable difference in your beer between using O2 and an aquarium setup with inline filter and diffusion stone. I pour my kettle's content through a strainer into a sanitized bucket. Next, I dump the bucket's content into my Bubbler. Last, I use my air filter/aquarium stone setup on the Bubbler's content for about 15 minutes. Sure, there is some lifting/extra cleaning, but I just clean up the rest of the gear while the stone is doing its thing and given my fermentations, I think it works out just fine. Just wondered if you've noticed a big difference in your beer between O2 setups and aquarium stones. I have TONS of foam atop my wort by the time I pitch.

Curious if you guys have really seen a noticeable difference in your beer between using O2 and an aquarium setup with inline filter and diffusion stone. I pour my kettle's content through a strainer into a sanitized bucket. Next, I dump the bucket's content into my Bubbler. Last, I use my air filter/aquarium stone setup on the Bubbler's content for about 15 minutes. Sure, there is some lifting/extra cleaning, but I just clean up the rest of the gear while the stone is doing its thing and given my fermentations, I think it works out just fine. Just wondered if you've noticed a big difference in your beer between O2 setups and aquarium stones. I have TONS of foam atop my wort by the time I pitch.

I quit using o2 about a year ago. I was in a hurry and forgot to oxygenate one time. Beer turned out exactly the same as it did previously with o2. Couldn't tell any difference at all. Haven't used o2 since.

also depends on what type of beers you are making and what type of yeast you are suing

I use the O2 when I brew a big big beer or am using 4th or 5th generation repitch of yeast. I used to use the aquarium pump method, and I don't think there were worlds of difference when switching to pure O2. There are a lot of factors that influence fermentation health (temperature, size of yeast pitch, yeast health etc) and adding pure O2 is just a little insurance in case the other factors are off. I never really had a problem with getting fermentation to finish out, so switching to pure O2 for me was definitely a solution in search of a problem.

Short answer, if what you're doing works and you're happy with the product, keep using the aquarium pump.

Edit to add: First, I brewed for 10 years using the 'dump and shake' method and was happy with my beer. Second, I really do prefer the 2 micron steel stone so that I can boil it to sanitize.

Back