Pocket Size pH Meter - best care instructions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanecb

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I finally got around to buying a pH meter as I'm starting to get into brewing sour beers. The instructions I received with it don't go much into the best care for this type of pH meter. This isn't the exact one I got, but it's this type of meter:

61QK9Pol-gL._SL1500_.jpg

What can I do to best take care of this meter and extend the life of the probe? I've read previously of pH meters needing to have the probe stored in a storage solution, but with this type of meter that doesn't seem like something that can be done. Is this by design, and the probe is ok being stored dry? The instructions to mention leaving the probe in distilled water for several hours to "refresh" the probe after an extended period of dry storage, but I've also read elsewhere that distilled water is not the best medium for probe "rehydration". Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hate to bump my own post, but just going to do it once and see if anyone has input. :)

To add, I read in a Milwaukee Instruments manual to add a couple drops of pH storage solution into the protective cap of their pH meter that's the same general style as the one I got. Is that just to keep it generally moist in the cap? Should I def be doing this?

Yes, you want to keep the electrode wet to prevent it from drying out.

I bought this same meter and it stopped working the first time I used it. Hopefully yours performs better! Mine was not sealed well so liquid got up into the electronic parts as I swirled it in the calibration solution and it just stopped working.

I don't know the answer to your question but I do have a similar meter. I always pour a little distilled water in a glass and swirl my meter around in it a bit after I use it then cap it up. Mine has been working for a while just fine.

Yes, you want to keep the electrode wet to prevent it from drying out.

I bought this same meter and it stopped working the first time I used it. Hopefully yours performs better! Mine was not sealed well so liquid got up into the electronic parts as I swirled it in the calibration solution and it just stopped working.

Thanks for the input! I didn't buy the exact one in the picture, but a very similar one. Hopefully it holds up for a while at least. I'll definitely take steps to keep the electrode wet from here on out.

I don't know the answer to your question but I do have a similar meter. I always pour a little distilled water in a glass and swirl my meter around in it a bit after I use it then cap it up. Mine has been working for a while just fine.

Glad to hear it's lasted for a while! Do you dry it off before capping it or just put the cap on with it wet?

Latest posts

Back