Pneumatic Bottle Capper - Just...because.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can that software export to something AutoCAD can work with? I'd imagine it would export to .dwg. That would be rad if you could post a link to a dwg file... I'd even add the dimension annotations :)

EDIT: Also, does anyone know a source for capper bells other than taking one from an existing bench capper?

I'm 99% sure ProE can export to .dwg or at least .dwf

This is awesome. Thanks so much for the CAD drawing. When I finally get around to building a room for my brewing stuff, it will have one of these.

Well I've used it to bottle two batches so far and it has definitely made bottling much more fun (now if I could only eliminate the clean-up afterwards!!!). I plumbed-in a compressed air line to my brew room from my detached garage so I can hook up to the compressor out there instead of running my little pancake unit. This way I can bottle after the little ones go to bed too!

TH I was wondering if you have a .SAT file or some other solid model format that I can import into the Google Sketchup 3D warehouse. I have AutoCAD 2010 and Sketchup, I could model it from the CAD file you posted, but I'm lazy :D

Thanks.

TH I was wondering if you have a .SAT file or some other solid model format that I can import into the Google Sketchup 3D warehouse. I have AutoCAD 2010 and Sketchup, I could model it from the CAD file you posted, but I'm lazy :D

Thanks.

Here's my choices for exporting from Pro/E, which one would you like?
ScreenShot001.jpg

Was just thinking about bottle height variations and such and it occurred to me, couldn't you design a support at the top of the bottle, sort of how a wing capper grabs the ridge of glass, and not worry about a platform for the bottle to sit on? Then the top of the bottle would always be a consistent distance from the bell no matter if you are using 12, 16, or 22 oz. bottles.

You could but then all the force of the cylinder would be concentrated on that glass lip. It might work just fine, but I'd feel better with the way it's designed now.

I was wondering if you could use a cylinder with a longer stroke.:D Of course I don't really know anything much about pneumatics, but if you would set the required pressure to crimp a cap, the cylinder would stop at whatever height the bottle is. So you could crimp tall or short bottles, although I would slowly turn up the pressure, experimenting to find the correct pressure for the crimp and then turn it up a hair more like 1 or 2 psi to make sure it happened ever time.

Awesome invention anyway.

Awesome! Can't wait to see what the automatic capper looks like! While you're at it, why not create a "line" that jacks a new bottle into place as each is capped and moved out of position? Makes bottling look cool.....(even though it's a PITA!).

For those worried about bottle breakage, you could just make a 'telephone booth with no roof'...kind of mechanism- whereby you put the bottle in and close the door. Maybe even a cylinder that slides open like those things at the bank drive-in (vaccuum transport thingy).

I think if you were planning on selling this like some suggest, you'd have to address that- liability.

If anyone is interested in sending me the cyl, pedal, connectors, hoses, cap crimper piece, and one of their bottles, I'd be happy to trade for a completed frame assembly. I'm thinking out of Tig welded aluminum, but more like the phone booth style box with no door.

With the right regulator it would be easy to make this run off of a standard CO2 cylinder, so no air compressor required.

Anyone Interested?

Oooooooh... 2000SNS-2.00 = stainless cylinder for $69. The thought of some 304 ss tube with this has me giddy. The only thing better than powered DIY homebrew project is a shiny powered DIY homebrew project.

the welded nut is the nut that comes with the air cylinder

Most folks that post here are sharing ideas for the benefit of all - not patented, even if it is a great idea and something that might sell. So - I don't think the original poster is looking to sell his invention, just share it - you are free to make your own.

You will have to do your homework - look on Google for the air cylinder, find a local welding shop that can look at the photo and weld up something. You probably have local folks that can powder-coat it for you too. You can find feet, endcaps and pneumatic hose at McMaster Carr, for example. You'll have to take some of your own bottles and figure the height, width, depth. I would start with the air cylinder and build around it.

the bell that crimps the cap might be purchased, or you might sacrifice your hand capper -

This got bumped up to the top again so I just found it. My comment that I don't think got mentioned would be directed at the locater block on the base. I wonder if a 'V' shaped piece of lexan would be good to locate a bottle instead of the circle. That way you could slide it against the V-stop and it would be in place instead of putting it into the circle. Just a thought. I'm loving this idea and saving it for later.

the welded nut is the nut that comes with the air cylinder

Most folks that post here are sharing ideas for the benefit of all - not patented, even if it is a great idea and something that might sell. So - I don't think the original poster is looking to sell his invention, just share it - you are free to make your own.

You will have to do your homework - look on Google for the air cylinder, find a local welding shop that can look at the photo and weld up something. You probably have local folks that can powder-coat it for you too. You can find feet, endcaps and pneumatic hose at McMaster Carr, for example. You'll have to take some of your own bottles and figure the height, width, depth. I would start with the air cylinder and build around it.

the bell that crimps the cap might be purchased, or you might sacrifice your hand capper -

Thank you for this ^^^
I couldn't have said it better myself.

For those looking for my CAD files, PM me with your email address and I will send them. The drawing doesn't have dimensions on it but everything is modeled to actual size (of course) so you can put dimensions on yourself if you want to. But really you are probably better off just getting a cylinder and building around it like Hangglider says.

Reaver, good idea with the v-stop - I like that!

Re: two hand control, I like to live dangerously with the foot pedal control. I've even let my 5 yo daughter operate the food pedal while I hold the bottles. Not a good idea really - she got me once and took a good chunk of skin out of my thumb.

Reaver, good idea with the v-stop - I like that!

I'm an Engineer by schooling and Mentality even if I'm just a controls tech for a pay check. I'm not ashamed to say I got a little excited seeing this project. :)

motorhead69 said:
and now you can buy one at Williams

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/PNEUMATIC-CAPPER-P3067.aspx[/QUOTE

" This features dual air valves, so both green air button valves must be pressed at once to cap a bottle (which prevents an operators hand from getting crushed by the capper). "

A good feature I'd say.

Nice looking .
My almost 16 year old antique capper has the same features, plus both buttons must be released after capping or a new cycle won't start.
Like an untie-tie-down.

BottleCapper.jpg

100_2228.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

@Claudius.... is that a 2 place bottle holder... you can put one in place and slide it under to cap, then pull the freshly capped one out and replace it while the machine is cycling? And then continue side to side.
Or is it for different size bottles 12's vs 22's?

@Claudius.... is that a 2 place bottle holder... you can put one in place and slide it under to cap, then pull the freshly capped one out and replace it while the machine is cycling?
And then continue side to side.
Correct;)
Ideal two person capper, one loads-unloads the other runs the capper.

Bottle-Capper.jpg

Or is it for different size bottles 12's vs 22's?
For different size bottles a second base is used.
The base holders are stored on each side of the capper.

Bottle_Capper.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Clone:

Ran mine at 85 psi and it worked great for the 13 cases we did in 2.5 hours. No broken bottles. I am going to dial it down to 80 psi the next time we bottle as it is putting a little indent in the caps and see how that goes.

483946_10151049756524476_717067784_n.jpg

304779_10151049758069476_2010168739_n.jpg

Back