PM - Oatmeal Stout - assistance needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblvsn

Reaction score
Getting ready to do my first partial mash this weekend and making an attempt at a recipe as well. Was having a hard time finding a partial mash recipe to go off of, so how does this look?

Oatmeal Stout - Partial Mash
4 lbs. - 2 row
1.5 lbs. - Flaked Oats
1 lb. - Roasted Barley
1/4 lb. - Chocolate Malt
4 lbs. - Dark LME
1 oz. - Fuggles

5 gallon batch
60 min. boil

Thanks! :mug:

Thanks for the tips. I'll back off on the Roasted Barley. I thought about more hops. Would I be better off adding 1 oz. at 60 min and then another ounce at about 15 min?

Here is a partial mash Oatmeal stout recipe from BYO.
BYO Oatmeal Stout
I just brewed a PM oatmeal stout this weekend by tweaking an extract + grains kit.
I agree with the others that if you are going to use Dark LME you don't need as much dark roasted grain. I my recipe had 1/2# chocolate and 1/2# roasted barley with 5# dark LME and the wort was pitch black. I'm concerned it may be too much roasted grains. You may get better results by using lighter colored extract instead of reducing your roasted grains.
Good luck, I'll let you know how mine turns out in a few weeks.
Craig

dblvsn said:
Thanks for the tips. I'll back off on the Roasted Barley. I thought about more hops. Would I be better off adding 1 oz. at 60 min and then another ounce at about 15 min?

I'd go 1.25 oz @60 and .75 @15 for the Fuggles. It has great flavor that you'll want to take advantage of.

So I just bought me a copy of ProMash and entering in the recipe details. Sweet program! I like how it pops up the BJCP guidelines and instantly tells ya how close you are to it. The problem I see is it asks for what my efficiency is going to be. What can I estimate that I'll get for efficiency doing a partial mash for the first time? Can somebody give a laymans definition of how efficiency is calculated?

Here is an updated version of the recipe:
Oatmeal Stout - Partial Mash
5 gallon batch
60 min. boil
4 lbs. - 2 row
1.5 lbs. - Flaked Oats
1/2 lb. - Roasted Barley
1/4 lb. - Chocolate Malt
4 lbs. - Dark LME
1.5 oz. - Fuggles - 60 min
1 oz. - Fuggles - 15 min
~36 IBU