PM idea...can I make a porter using a dunkel extract kit as the base?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulshine2

Reaction score
Ive been pretty much house bound since just before Christmas. Waiting on work to pick up so I can get back out of the house. So , I've either been making beer (bottled my Bavarian Hef yesterday) or I sit on here ,drink coffee every morning and think of what to make next.

My wife and I tried a Funky Buddha "Last Snow" cho-conut coffee porter last fall at Beer Hog outside of Birmingham,AL and it was fantastic. The weather we're experiencing right now has my mind on this.
I had her order me a dunkelweizen kit .
I happen to have an orphan bag of chocolate malt and some others ,also just re-read the article on brewing with coconut(both raw and toasted).
Right now for the first time in 2 months I have both carboys empty and 2 cases of bottles to use.

My "on deck" AG brews ,ingredients in hand, are -
a GF beer for my dad (Celiac)I'm still in research mode on this.
an Oktoberfest/Maerzen,waiting for March.
a Kolsch,extract. I could do this anytime ,really. No hurry.
a dunkelweizen AG(sent already milled, as is or experiment with this porter)

Can I go with the dunkel kit as a base and supplement to make this something that resembles the cho-conut porter ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sure, why not, it's all about experimenting. A Dunkel is already a semi-dark beer with notes of chocolate, just add more chocolate malt and call it a Dark Lager if you are using lager yeast if that's what came with the kit.

Sure, why not, it's all about experimenting. A Dunkel is already a semi-dark beer with notes of chocolate, just add more chocolate malt and call it a Dark Lager if you are using lager yeast if that's what came with the kit.
How much choc malt...going for a 5 gallon batch.
Actually , while I'm thinking about this ,I'm going to root through my current orphan supply and list what I have ...Maybe have the forum members try and help me build this recipe .

Ok , so I just was down in the cold basement , went through and inventoried my orphan grains ,hops and yeasts on hand. I have these grains in the noted amount . What could I add to the (NB)Dunkelweizen grist to make it as close to the coconut porter I'm going after. 5-6 gallon batch please. Taking all advice and or comments seriously . Even those that may say I can't get there from here. If I need extra grain or adjuncts , I'll just wait until I can order again or may have the step-son do some LHBS shopping for me before he comes in March.
Much appreciated .

Grains-
Avangard
7 oz-Dark Munich

Best Malz
10 oz-Caramel Pils
6oz- Light Munich
10oz- RedX Malt

Briess
13oz- Carapils
15oz- Dark Choc Malt
7oz- Organic 2 row
8 oz -Red Wheat

Gambrinus
8 oz- Honey Malt

Malteries Franco-Belges
4oz- Caramel Pilsen
8oz- Caramel Vienna

Rahr
11oz- 2Row
1lb 13oz 6 Row

Weyermann
3 oz- Carafa Special I Malt
8 oz- Pilsner Malt
11oz- Spelt Malt

Other -
8 oz -Flaked Oats
16 oz -Rice Hulls

Hops-
all 1 oz unless noted otherwise , IBU (%)noted after each-

Czech Saaz 2.8%
German Spalt A-2.6% B-5.2%
3 oz Citra- 22.2%
1.25oz Columbus A -15% B- 5.1%
Mosaic 2.7%
Simcoe A 12.9% B 4%
0.5oz Warrior (?)
3 oz Wakatu A 7.1% B 8.5%
7oz German Herkules A 17.3% B 5.6%
5oz Hallertau A 3.6%
German (Northern Brewers) A 9.8%

Yeast (dry)-
Fermentis -
WB-06
K-97
W-34/70

If you're wanting chocolate or dark chocolate to add to the recipe the 15oz you have should be sufficient. Eight ounces of flaked oats would come in handy as an adjunct grain.
American chocolate is around 350L, Briess dark chocolate is rated at 420L (per website) and for a reasonably brownish porter or dark lager I'd recommend 4-8oz per 5gal batch depending on how dark you'd prefer your wort.

Other than that you have quite enough 2/6row base malt and Munich onhand to do an American porter or robust porter easily.. Now as to hopping, that's up to you but I'd choose one bittering addition and one of the plentiful noble hops for aroma. If you have S-05 then the hopping for an American porter is easy-peasy, but if you choose the S-04, then the hopping will be more Continental than English.

Last edited:
Back