coconut on my mind for recipe ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate the late comments but this is in progress already. I'm not buying any extracts since i already added real deal coconut.
BTW, I had to rig up quite the contraption for off gassing since what was in my 6 gallon wouldnt all fit in the 5 with the coconut ,coffee and cacao mixture up to the neck. Had I thought about this before i would have filled the 5 first in case of the dry "hopping" with the 1 lb + of dry ingredients. It wanted to climb out with the renewed fermentation going on. So I have a good gallon or so of the primary batch still. I can use that to tone it down at bottling if I need to . I shoved a blow-off hose from the 5 gallon back to the 6 and had to do a tape closure to poke 2 holes for the other end of the hose and an airlock . It works. anything coming off the 5 gallon can run over to the 6 and not lose it and it wont explode.
furthermore, it smells great now , more like i wanted it.

Ok fellow brewers, last time I posted an update I had just about finished up the fermentation on this and added ground coffee, cacao powder and 1 lb of toasted coconut to the secondary and I left it to do its thing for 2 weeks while I did a 10 day /12 hrs per day demo job at the toyota plant in Tupelo MS. Got back Saturday night and pretty much just relaxed yesterday.
Today was bottling day. I'm here to tell you , i pretty much nailed what I was trying to accomplish. I did add a 1/4 tsp of watkins pure vanilla extract to the bottling bucket. It tasted great without it , just needed that gentle hint of a creamy flavor that vanilla gives.
btw, I got 1 bottle shy of 2 1/2 cases of 12 oz longnecks, 5.78%ABV . Ready by St Patricks day...

upload_2019-3-4_12-28-44.png

Can you tell us what it taste like ? It sounds delicious.
Thank you. I'm glad you asked .
With everything I did to it and all the waiting , I can say it tastes like the alcoholic version of a nice cup of the fanciest cocoa ive ever had.
Not one of the added flavoring ingredients overpowers or stands out over the others.
a little chocolate, a little coffee, a little toasted coconut and the tiny amount of vanilla. Not hoppy but you can tell its there. It's balanced. I'm extremely happy with how it has turned out. My only hope is that it has some good head on the pour. It will be at that point that I determine if I'll make this again.
St Patty's day will be the opening of the carb'd bottles.

Thank you. I'm glad you asked .
With everything I did to it and all the waiting , I can say it tastes like the alcoholic version of a nice cup of the fanciest cocoa ive ever had.
Not one of the added flavoring ingredients overpowers or stands out over the others.
a little chocolate, a little coffee, a little toasted coconut and the tiny amount of vanilla. Not hoppy but you can tell its there. It's balanced. I'm extremely happy with how it has turned out. My only hope is that it has some good head on the pour. It will be at that point that I determine if I'll make this again.
St Patty's day will be the opening of the carb'd bottles.

Cool ! Take a pic of that first pour . Is the coconut obvious or is it really subtle . Could someone who didnt know what it was say they taste coconut?

Oh you KNOW I'll post a pic of the first pour. I generally and usually taste everything from first run of wort through sparges and gravity checks ( I don't waste anything),pre-bottling and naturally the finished product. Mainly to taste the progression. I tasted it after the primary . I knew then the flavors were incredibly weak ,so that was the reason for the secondary , which normally I don't do, and the ingredient additions. I don't anticipate things changing much except more carbonation ,but yes the flavors are there mingling. As I said, its a flavor balanced and smooth beer. Coconut is obvious , but not "in your face" . I had my son taste it and him being the Bud/Bud-Light drinker, he said it was good.
I'll know in 2 weeks. I always have the one last bottle that doesnt get filled as much as the others and contains some bottling bucket/spiess sediment. I use that as my "10 day trial" beer to check the conditioning/carbing. I've tried them as early as day 7 and they are never carbed enough by then.

yesterday was the day to open the snow pants porter, im disappointed , no coconut flavor whatsoever. still drinkable.

I know some people dont like extracts but I've used the coconut extract in a toasted coconut creme ale and it had a decent coconut flavor . You may try adding that along with your fresh coconut next time. Keep working it man you'll get it how you want it . However like you said its drinkable and you have beer so..... cheers !

I know some people dont like extracts but I've used the coconut extract in a toasted coconut creme ale and it had a decent coconut flavor . You may try adding that along with your fresh coconut next time. Keep working it man you'll get it how you want it . However like you said its drinkable and you have beer so..... cheers !
Agreed! The Brewer's Best brand is top notch and helps with the over the top flavor.

Back