Quantcast

Plumb Cider with Brown Sugar

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

wreckinball9

Reaction score
I made my first wine yesterday (other than a dozen ciders and meads). It was a Vintners Harvest Fruit Wine Base- Plum. It called for 11 lbs table sugar, but I didnt have 11 lbs table sugar, so I used the following:
-5 lbs white table sugar
-2 lbs dark brown sugar
-2 lbs light brown sugar
-1 lb dextrose

I am kind of mad at myself for not waiting and doing it right...

do you think the 4 lbs of brown sugar will have negative effect on the Plum Wine?

david_42

Reaction score
Plumb Cider with Brown Sugar
You do know lead (Pb) isn't good for you?

It will certainly change the flavor, but after a year of aging, it should be ok.

EoinMag

Reaction score
I'd imagine it'll add more depth of flavour, a bit of a molasses note, can't imagine it'll be a problem, you still have approximately the same amount of fermentables, so ABV should be pretty close.

MikeBlick

Reaction score
I'm far from expert, but I tried a few batches of applewine with some brown sugar and personally didn't like the results. I thought it was quite a bit heavier and had a bitter flavor when compared to just using dextrose. My brother on the other hand loved the batches, so who knows.

OP
W

wreckinball9

Reaction score
i personally love using brown sugar in hard apple cider, but i suspect with the subtle plum flavor from using just one Vintners Harvest Wine Base in a 5 gallon batch the molasses may be too detectable. damn impatience!

OP
W

wreckinball9

Reaction score
if anyone cares, I just wanted to update this thread that the plum wine was fantastic! the wifey thinks its the best thing I've ever made. I am currently making a new batch with all white table sugar so I will let you know if there is a large difference in result.