plug dropped into carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amandley

Reaction score
So, I was taking a sample from my carboy and had my airlock and plug in the sanitizer bucket. I also had a couple other plugs in the bucket. Without thinking, after taking the sample, I reached into the bucket grabbed a plug and pushed it into the top of the carboy. It fit ok, but when I went to put the airlock into the entire plug slipped through the neck and plunked down into the beer. Now I have a rubber plug sitting in the bottom of my carboy with about a week to go of fermentation. Should I transfer the beer out? Is it ok sitting in there until I keg?

amandley said:
So, I was taking a sample from my carboy and had my airlock and plug in the sanitizer bucket. I also had a couple other plugs in the bucket. Without thinking, after taking the sample, I reached into the bucket grabbed a plug and pushed it into the top of the carboy. It fit ok, but when I went to put the airlock into the entire plug slipped through the neck and plunked down into the beer. Now I have a rubber plug sitting in the bottom of my carboy with about a week to go of fermentation. Should I transfer the beer out? Is it ok sitting in there until I keg?

I'd leave it alone. You're not the first to do this and you won't be the last. If its a stopper you got at a homebrew shop it's food safe.

If you were taking a sample, I'm assuming your beer has been fermenting a bit? If so, I think you're ok on this since you said the plug was sanitized. Others might provide a better opinion but my thoughts are that you have a potential to do more harm transferring it than leaving it. I could be wrong, but I don't see it as any different than having marbles in there to sink your hops.

Just let it ride. Transferring it would do way more damage than good. The tough part may be removing stopper after you are done with the carboy.

Yes, it has already been fermenting for 2 weeks. And yes the plug was bought from the LHBS. I just worry about a weird rubber taste leaching in.

Yeah I've heard of this happening to a few people. If it was sanitized then it'll be just fine. Just leave it in and get it back when you're done in the carboy.

Yes, it has already been fermenting for 2 weeks. And yes the plug was bought from the LHBS. I just worry about a weird rubber taste leaching in.

I read a thread almost just like this and the guy just let it go and said the beer didn't have any kind of rubber taste. I wouldn't worry about it.

I have done that too.

Just leave it and you will be OK.

There is a cool trick to easily get it out when you are done. Rack the beer to your bottling bucket. Stuff a thin dish towel, ot a tshirt into the carboy. Flip the carboy on it's side and get the stopper on top of th cloth. Then just pull and the stopper will come right out.

Look at the Craigtube video in this thread (post # 3 )

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-remove-rubber-stopper-carboy-under-minute-313788/

Back